Need Help Identifying

Kyritheous

Jul 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know what this is or could have been used for?

This item came into a family member's possession after the passing of a friend who was an avid civil war relic collector. We have been baffled by what this could have been used for and would appreciate any information.

The stake portion is made of copper. On several places "O.P. Case" is engraved on the object. I believe it may be a name, O.P. Case
I would be happy to provide more pictures if needed.
IMAG0237[1].jpg IMAG0238[1].jpg IMAG0239[1].jpg IMAG0240[1].jpg IMAG0241[1].jpg

Upvote 0

BJH62

Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but my guess would be possibly to hold a candle.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you researched the word or name that's all it?

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I googled "OP Case" Civil war and found there was a private in the Union Army from Missouri.

Still don't know what your item is, but I love a challenge.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice find.

Just from appearance it would look like the rod is stuck into the ground.

'something' would then be put into the cup.

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could it be a drinking or shaving cup that someone attached the spike to so it could be stuck in the ground, allowing the person to have hands free (that's why I think shaving).

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My honest first impression was that it looked like a large version of a candle snuffer is there any possibility something like that would be used for a cannon wick maybe to keep it dry during rain or something?

OP
OP
K

Kyritheous

Jul 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I know about the name is what i linked in the first post. A Union Calvary Solider from Missouri. I thought it could be stuck in the ground too but the stake is made of copper. I don't know anything about Civil War Era copper prices but I imagine there are cheaper metals if its just a stake. The cup seems to be partially made of copper as well. (in places where the "brim" is scratches it appears to have copper underneath.) Is it possible this was used for melting small amounts of metal for musket balls?

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is a listening device.

Hold it to a train track with your ear in the cup.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's actually extremely intuitive and I'm positive that would work great.. I don't have any reason other than a gut feeling but I think it's not civil war related.

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's actually extremely intuitive and I'm positive that would work great.. I don't have any reason other than a gut feeling but I think it's not civil war related.

It could be used that way on engines, valves and many other mechanical devices.

BJH62

Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I looked at this picture again I thought it kinda looked like a lightning rod. So I looked up antique lightning rods and found this picture the bottom of it has that same cup design I'm not sure if that's what it is or not what do you think.

image-2223731272.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread