Vicksburg

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
Hello,
My wife and I took a trip down the great river road from our home here in Wisconsin all the way to New Orleans. On the way back we stopped in Vicksburg and toured the battlefield. I knew I had a relative that participated in the siege but I did not expect to find his name on a monument! A letter I have from another soldier that was sent to his family indicates that after the siege they marched to Helena, Arkansas where he died of congestive fever. We went there after Vicksburg to try to find his grave but I didn't have any luck. His name was John Horswill and was in Company F 25th Wisconsin if any of you how to find his grave. I realize many were buried in mass graves and such but thought I'd ask.

Thanks for looking,
Sidevalve45

Horswill.jpg

Upvote 0

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I see his burial register in the National Archives, but not the cemetery. Last name in the list. Many were buried in mass graves , w/o markers , so just finding which cemetery he is in, may be the best you can do. Good luck !

Please wait...

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
I see his burial register in the National Archives, but not the cemetery. Last name in the list. Many were buried in mass graves , w/o markers , so just finding which cemetery he is in, may be the best you can do. Good luck !

Please wait...

Hi CaptEsteban,
Thanks for your interest. I thought I'd attach a copy of the letter for anyone that's interested. Actually I think it's two letters. Apparently after Vicksburg was surrendered on the fourth of July there was a forced march to Helena and many of the northern boys got sick not being use to the climate for one thing. I am unsure what congestive fever is. Malaria? Pneumonia? Not long after they got to Helena the rest of the company moved out heading for Little Rock but he died either just before or after they left. We spoke with the library historian there and that what he said anyway.

Sidevalve45 Scan0006.jpg Scan0007.jpg

ole miss rebel

Feb 22, 2013
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife & I visited the Vicksburg park couple of years ago, lots to see!!
Did you get a chance to check out the USS Cairo? Amazing that they were able to salvage that much of it.
The tour has an audible cd to guide you, very informative, one of the best parks to visit!
It's a must for a bucket list

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck Finding Your Relatives Grave Site.

Davers

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
We did tour the Cairo exhibit. I believe it went down in ten minutes after striking two mines but amazingly with no loss of life.

IMG_0986.JPG

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Hello CaptEsteban,
It took me to the ancestry.com login but I don't have a subscription. I know I could by getting out the plastic and pay for it but I'd not likely use it again. I thought perhaps there was another way that was free. Thanks for your efforts anyway. It is appreciated.

Sidevalve45

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
It shows that he is buried in Section 2 , Number 326, in the Memphis National Cemetery.

Awesome! Thank you very much for your help. The Librarian I spoke with in Helena said that after the war newly freed slaves were hired to dig up the remains of soldiers and rebury them in either Little Rock or Memphis with Memphis being the more likely choice since it's closer. I tried looking at the national cemetary web site but didn't have any luck however it's very possible I didn't know what I was doing either. At any rate thank you again for your help.

Sidevalve45

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love this site and thank you for sharing your journey and letters. I also have some old family civil war letters I may post for you guys to help me with.
Thank you for sharing your history.
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread