dahofman

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys! This is my first post to treasurenet. I absolutely love this site! I have been following the site for many years now. Today, I went to a flea market/fall festival in Central Indiana. While walking around, I saw a small sword that caught my eye. Often time, I will see swords and they look like cheap movie props. This one looked noticeably different. It is roughly 20 inches long and the blade is approximately 14 1/2 inches. On the top of the knuckle guard there is a star carved into the circle (at the base of the blade.) It has the word T -E -X-A-S carved around the star. I assume this is the lonestar of texas. At the base of the blade, there are a few identifying marks. One states "B&G CO" and the other states "TEXAS CS CRU?NANCE ARTILLARY." When I began examining the sword, I wondered if the "CS" stood for Confederate States. I tried to talk to the seller, but he didn't know anything about it. I know swords can be reproduced and faked. Does anyone have any information on this sword or on whether it may be legitimate? I only paid $40.00 for it, so if it is fake it is not an extreme loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

dahofman image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG

Upvote 0

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard dahofman!
I can't help with the sword ID,
but if you post this in the What Is It?
section there are plenty of good folk who can.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... It is roughly 20 inches long and the blade is approximately 14 1/2 inches. On the top of the knuckle guard there is a star carved into the circle (at the base of the blade.) It has the word T -E -X-A-S carved around the star. I assume this is the lonestar of texas. At the base of the blade, there are a few identifying marks. One states "B&G CO" and the other states "TEXAS CS CRU?NANCE ARTILLARY." When I began examining the sword, I wondered if the "CS" stood for Confederate States...

Regards,

dahofman View attachment 1062372 View attachment 1062373 View attachment 1062375
In 1861,the Confederates captured the US ORDNANCE DEPOT at San Antonino,Texas,which held uniforms,small arms,swords,knapsacks,etc,which were modified for the CSA.Later,during the War of Northern Aggression,some manufacturing equiptment was added by the Confederates.
The markings may be TEXAS CS ORDNANCE ARTILLARY and the B & G Co may designate a Confederate military unit,or the original US Army contractor.
A nice find!

Last edited:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm no authority on Edged Weapons at all, and I've never seen a CW sword that looked like yours. But the patina and pitting sure looks right to me . . . hard to fake that.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Absolutely fake. Seen my share in 50 years of collecting CW.
As an example of fake Confederate side knives, look at the FAKE section shown on the "Arizona Swords" website (google it). Lots of photos there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread