Carcano bullet value?

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only dug 2 of these over the years,and seen several others dug by hunting buddies. Went on line today because I didn't know much about them. There was a couple of sites trying to sell them for in the 50-60 buck range. Are these really worth that much? Not that I would sell them, just curious. carcano 001.JPG carcano 002.JPG

Upvote 0

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I use E Bay a lot to find out what an item may sell for. Do a search of the item & it brings up a page with current auctions , look at the left of the page & look for " Sold Listings." Click on that & you will see what the items have sold for, recently. It can always varies a lot, but it is a good general way to get info.

Civil War Carcano bullet | eBay

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The identification "Carcano" bullet has turned out to be incorrect. Recent archival research by bullet-book author Dean S. Thomas in Confederate Ordnance Department documents has found on-paper proof that the Confederates called your finds a "Raleigh pattern" minie-bullet, because all of that type were manufactured at Raleigh NC.

Unfired .69-caliber Raleigh-pattern minies (the caliber you found) sell at civil war relic shows in Virginia from between $25 to $35, depending on condition. The base-view photo of the one on the right in your hand shows its base is a bit "smushed," so it's worth a bit less than the completely-undamaged one on the left.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds ..
Both look good enough for me.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread