snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope they find these A holes

KNOXVILLE, Ga. (AP) — Authorities in Georgia say the grave of a Confederate soldier has been dug up and investigators are working to determine whether anything has been stolen.

Crawford County Sheriff Lewis Walker on Thursday said a grave is at the Old Bethel Church Cemetery in Knoxville and belonged to James Nichols.

WMAZ-TV reports historical records show Nichols was captured in Vicksburg, Mississippi, on July 4, 1863, and died Nov. 9, 1866. Crawford told the Telegraph of Macon that Nichols was a first lieutenant in the Confederate Army and the suspects may have been looking for artifacts that were buried with him.

Walker says authorities are trying to locate Nichols' relatives and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has been called to help inspect the grave's contents.

(

Upvote 0

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry bA$turd$

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some sorry crappy people in my book. I hope the GBI catches them.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Low life scum of the earth for sure!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a Very Bad thing that happens much too often.
For the Grave Robbers Sake I hope they Got nothing but a Curse & a Big Fine and Jail time.

Just Wondering
Why is it OK to Dig up Egyptian Mummy's or other Ancient People in the name of science?

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just Wondering
Why is it OK to Dig up Egyptian Mummy's or other Ancient People in the name of science?[/QUOTE]

Scientist are just looking for wrapped up aliens.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot of the early archaeologists who dug up Egyptian tombs actually ended up dead shortly after. Mold that had collected in the graves over the eons was very toxic and the men who entered breathed it and caused many to die of infection. That's the true curse of the mummies. One of the most ancient "cursed" tombs is actually in China. The first emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang, had himself buried in a massive underground tomb that has to this day never been excavated even though its location is known. Part of the reason is anyone who goes in his tomb will likely die as in ancient texts it is said that he was buried with thousands of gallons of liquid mercury that flow like miniature rivers in his burial chamber.

Marylanddetctr

Aug 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking to a guy near Antietam who located 5 confederate buttons in a row which turned out to be a body, but there was more than 1, it turned out that there were 30 confederate bodies buried no more than a foot to 2 feet deep

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet the grave robbers were Yankees......

redbull

Sep 5, 2013
iowa formerly from the south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of that liquid mercury is now in the soils. Another reason for not openinv it is due to it bring sealed and likely no oxygen flow, if ghey open the area and dxpose it to air it could have a detrimental affect on the artifacts. Alot of what had been excavated (the terracotta soldiers) were damaged and lost pigments etc due to being reexposed. Although in the last 20 years or so theyve developed a way to solve that issue.
Alot of the early archaeologists who dug up Egyptian tombs actually ended up dead shortly after. Mold that had collected in the graves over the eons was very toxic and the men who entered breathed it and caused many to die of infection. That's the true curse of the mummies. One of the most ancient "cursed" tombs is actually in China. The first emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang, had himself buried in a massive underground tomb that has to this day never been excavated even though its location is known. Part of the reason is anyone who goes in his tomb will likely die as in ancient texts it is said that he was buried with thousands of gallons of liquid mercury that flow like miniature rivers in his burial chamber.

redbull

Sep 5, 2013
iowa formerly from the south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know what they did with the bodies? In a case such as this im all for excavating and reburial to a proper non battlefield gravesite (with military honors of course)
I was talking to a guy near Antietam who located 5 confederate buttons in a row which turned out to be a body, but there was more than 1, it turned out that there were 30 confederate bodies buried no more than a foot to 2 feet deep

Marylanddetctr

Aug 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know they gave a proper reburial, I don't know where. The soldiers during the civil war Dident bury the bodies deep since the soil was rocky and I guess they dident really care. I also heard from a diffrent guy they found a bunch of bodies they threw down a old well, pretty crazy

Greeneman215

Aug 4, 2012
Central NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a Very Bad thing that happens much too often.
For the Grave Robbers Sake I hope they Got nothing but a Curse & a Big Fine and Jail time.

Just Wondering
Why is it OK to Dig up Egyptian Mummy's or other Ancient People in the name of science?

Great question, you should take a read of Skull Wars by David Hurst Thomas

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet the grave robbers were Yankees......

Nah. Yankees would have known there was nothing of value left in Georgia in November of 1866.

Pity, none the less. Defiling sacred ground - no matter who it is sacred to - is an ugly business.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure one day they will be excavating all old graves maybe ours as well. Many graves of soldiers by the North and South were buried quickly by the locals and farmers. I have seen mounds that say 21 unknown confederate soldiers. They had to get them in the ground fast. After the war the North recovered many of its burials from the South. And anything else the carpet baggers could steal. :tongue3: ( just kidding or is that history?)
One of my relatives was wounded in Virginia and suffered some time. I have the letters between the Mom and Dad. The dad was with the son. When the boy died they were advised to bury him and return in the winter to take him home.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my gggrandfathers was in the 47th Ga and was KIA in the battle of Missionary Ridge. Our family has tried to locate his burial place with no success for several generations. The speculation is that he is in the mass CSA grave at Silverdale with 154 other unknown Confederate soldiers, but my own feelings are that he is still on the ridge near where he fell as I just can't see the Federals expending much energy to move dead Confederates that far, especially during an active combat phase. I feel that a special curse is on those who disturb the dead for their own gain.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting ...

Now there is 'maybe' a "Curse" on those who Found & Handled/Studied the "Ice Man" Found in the Alp's .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Something like this happened to a guy I know back in the late 80's.

They were building a neighborhood & when they cleared on of the lots to start a home the bulldozers uncovered/'partially' a Soldiers Grave my bud uncovered a GS Button then saw a Skull.
Strange when all was said & done they Reburied the remains in the Local Confederate Cemetery.

The Daughters of the Confederacy Called my Bud A grave robber , Cause 'I guess' there was on buttons plates etc, found on or near the Remains.

He said the GS Eagle button was dug about 15ft from the remains. So in his opinion there's a Union Soldier Buried in the Confederate Cemetery ...IMO Still an American & his Resting place is Much better than it was.
Heck there is a House sitting on the site now..

There was a thread awhile back with a title like 'Dug plates ,maybe Graves?'
As you stated all those Bodies buried at 2 ft or so = one may assume that with the Deep Seeking Pulse Machines the some Plates & buttons dug at 2+ feet Could have been Shallow Hastily Dug Graves (Esp, When more than 1 button of the same type are found).
Sorry for my Rant..
But
Watched a Documentary where there was a vast Undertaking to find Most of the Marked or not Graves of Union Soldiers after the war & move them to Newly created National Cemetery's . & Many Were found & Reburied .

Also I think ..Something like the Widows & orphans of Confederate Soldiers Got together and did much the same ,Tho they did not have the Gov, Funding like the Union Cause Did.

I,m Very sure many 100's or 1000's of unknown/Marked Graves are still out there, Unfortunately many are under Concrete & Roads.
May they all R.I.P.

Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread