HELP ID 2 CIVIL WAR MINI BALLS

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEED HELP ID THESE 2 CANT FIND IN DATABASE. BOTH SOLID BOTTOMS BOONESBOROUGH BULLETS 007.jpg BOONESBOROUGH BULLETS 006.jpg BOONESBOROUGH BULLETS 005.jpg BOONESBOROUGH BULLETS 004.jpg

Upvote 0

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi cm thunder.What you have is a carbine, if .52 cal. It is Sharps, if .50 cal. Smith carbine.

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
cmthunder

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks most like and closest to measurements of .50 cal Smiths in Thomas & Thomas Handbook #73 that shows D .524 and L .86 for my 1st bullet. What about the second one its 3 ringer solid base?

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks most like and closest to measurements of .50 cal Smiths in Thomas & Thomas Handbook #73 that shows D .524 and L .86 for my 1st bullet. What about the second one its 3 ringer solid base?
I'd hate to guess on that cm. Maybe someone else with more expertise will be able to answer your question. I don't have a handbook like that on bullets. Have you seen this chart?
image.jpg

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these possible ww1

OP
OP
cmthunder

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No they are from Civil war battle

CONFEDR8

Sep 15, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, the true definition of a Minie ball is the three rings (but depending on the manufacturer, this could be 1, 2, or 3), but, it needs to have a hollow base. And upon this, the Minie ball is only a musket round, which means that it would be .577 in diameter. Because there diameter, and as stated above, it is a carbine bullet.

But out of curiosity, where did you find them, on what battle, and can you guess what side?

Edit: And I am not an expert in carbine bullets, but remember, it too is lead, so you have to know that the measurement you have right now is going to be a tad less because there is about 150 years of crap sticking to it.

OP
OP
cmthunder

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Battle of Boonesborough, Cavalry Battle after Gettysburg 1863, found on Confederate side of battle I believe

CONFEDR8

Sep 15, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, that really pinpoints that it was the Union Cavalry who fired those shots. That is cool. Congrats. I bet if you tried, you could narrow it down to a couple units.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's kinda hard to tell from the pictures, but at first glance the 'top' pic, does look like a 52 Sharps ( #113 & 114) in your book
cmthunder. but looking closer I think you are right ( likely a 50 Smith/Gallager). ' There is no top ring at all Right?'
Plus that Bullet look's to be dropped & the second one Fired.

Your 2ed bullet look's in the pic, to have 2 rings, If you say it has 3 I believe you.
That one as I said looks Fired & IMO 90% if 3 Rings is a Spencer Carbine Round.
Remember your Measurements will be off on a fired Specimen.

P.s. The Sharps is pictured in CoilyGirl's 1 st post. & if fired the Rebated bottom is hard to see.
Heck look,s like a Colt Revolving Rifle also but they have 2 rings.
Just my opinion.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that really pinpoints that it was the Union Cavalry who fired those shots. That is cool. Congrats. I bet if you tried, you could narrow it down to a couple units.

Very true...
Sons Birthday Gotta go...

OP
OP
cmthunder

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for help Davers.
1st one definitely drop does not have top ring. Only 2 elevated rings.
2nd one fired and does have 3 rings

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions