metaldetecta

Jun 10, 2013
Michigan Troll
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro and Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 1864 token about a month ago and posted it on the cleaning and preservation part of treasure net. I need advice on how to clean off the green crust on this coin. 1431138141401.jpg

Attachments

• 1431138171396.jpg
    1431138171396.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 0
OP
OP
metaldetecta

metaldetecta

Jun 10, 2013
Michigan Troll
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusty side

Attachments

• 1431183465295.jpg
    1431183465295.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 149

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It will effect the value if you clean it. If you want to hydrogen peroxide will do it. Changing every few days for a month or so. If you boil it will be more effective and faster removal of the crist.

OP
OP
metaldetecta

metaldetecta

Jun 10, 2013
Michigan Troll
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will effect the value if you clean it. If you want to hydrogen peroxide will do it. Changing every few days for a month or so. If you boil it will be more effective and faster removal of the crist.

Thanks! I don't want to damage the value, especially because the one side is in good shape.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! I don't want to damage the value, especially because the one side is in good shape.

I guess that if it were mine, I'd clean it enough so that whatever is under the crud could be seen. That way, it could be identified in the Civil War Token book. As it is, it isn't worth a lot - unless there is only one variety that uses that die.

Okay - I just got out my copy of A Guide Book of Civil War Tokens by Q. David Bowers. As far as I can tell, it is Patriotic die #162 / Store Card die #1175, which he says was made by diesinker Emil Sagel. It is known to be paired with Patriotic die #55 (an Indian Princess surrounded by 12 stars and dated 1864), #56 (same as #55 but with 13 stars), and #338 (Our / Navy within a wreath). Neither that book or the newer 3rd Edition U. S. Civil War Storecard book shows die #1175 paired with anything that I can see, but I'm not expert in these things.

As far as rarity goes, the Guide book says the Patriotic pairings are rarity 1 or 2, so you are not dealing with a great rarity here, so I'd stick with my opinion that I'd clean it if it were mine. I'd either use the "soak in olive or mineral oil for a few months" method, then attack it with a soft toothbrush or the Hydrogen peroxide method.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
metaldetecta

metaldetecta

Jun 10, 2013
Michigan Troll
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks idahotokens. I appreciate the advice and info.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd soak it in EV Olive oil 2 week's or as long as possible , Scrubbing the Spit out of the Crusty Side With a Small Handheld Semi Stiff Plastic Brush , it may take a few Scrubs but hopefully that side of the token is in as good a shape as the other.
Mineral Oil is Cool to. (never done the Peroxide Method).

A very nice Token to dig, IMO likely has the Indian Head 'Princess' Motif under the Crust.
Good Luck
&
Patience is your friend.
Davers

OP
OP
metaldetecta

metaldetecta

Jun 10, 2013
Michigan Troll
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used