Small 33 Star flag

shortbuss

Apr 14, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all, this is my first post on this website. A little about me, I came to this website first for the coin roll hunting.
I bought this small set at a antique fare. I have looked into this set and can't find anything just like it. My guess is this was someone's artifacts that they dug since the location's are different. I have not found much information about the flag, I have some concerns that it is a fake. To me the rips and holes seem to uniform. I am hoping that someone can tell me more information about this set.

20150512_192449.jpg
20150512_192442.jpg
20150512_192431.jpg

Thank you,
Alex

Upvote 0

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site Alex. That is a very cool display, hopefully it is real and someone can give us some info. The bullets and button look real. Good luck

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really neat display. The bullets are real and the flag looks good but I can't say for sure. It's a beautiful set.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to give this thread a bump. Would love to know more about this flag. Real,fake or how it was used.

OP
OP
S

shortbuss

Apr 14, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
Other
So I wanted to give everyone a update. First I would like to thank everyone who posted, and I do apologize for not posting sooner. I went to my local museum to talk the the curator. The good news, the sewing machine was invented by (1861) so that could is why the stitching is so straight. The bad news he is skeptical of two things, first the holes, he too thinks the holes are to lined up and too much of a pattern. The second thing that he thought was odd is the lack of evidence of use. I agree since there is no (rivet's) for the flag to be hoisted, although it is very small, also there is no fabric (left) for a pole to be attached, (to be waved or put into the ground), Nor do I see staple holes were the flag could have been stapled to a small wooden stick.

Again thank you all for who have replied and I am really looking forward to hearing/learning about this piece of history.

Thank you Alex

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shortbuss

Apr 14, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
Other
To update the update, I was able to track down another (suspiciously smaller flag) on a auction site I use, but I have never bought from this auction company. The flag ended up selling for 140.00$ USD. The link for the sale is here.

From,

Alex

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I wanted to give everyone a update. First I would like to thank everyone who posted, and I do apologize for not posting sooner. I went to my local museum to talk the the curator. The good news, the sewing machine was invented by (1864) so that could is why the stitching is so straight. The bad news he is skeptical of two things, first the holes, he too thinks the holes are to lined up and too much of a pattern. The second thing that he thought was odd is the lack of evidence of use. I agree since there is no (rivet's) for the flag to be hoisted, although it is very small, also there is no fabric (left) for a pole to be attached, (to be waved or put into the ground), Nor do I see staple holes were the flag could have been stapled to a small wooden stick.

Again thank you all for who have replied and I am really looking forward to hearing/learning about this piece of history.

Thank you Alex

Alex,

Could the holes be uniform due to the flag being folded and perhaps hit with a small fragment? Perhaps a bullet (buckshot) or something? Plausible yes?

Tina

OP
OP
S

shortbuss

Apr 14, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
Other
Alex,

Could the holes be uniform due to the flag being folded and perhaps hit with a small fragment? Perhaps a bullet (buckshot) or something? Plausible yes?

Tina

That is a really good idea. The only problem is, I have not seen any other flags, besides the one on Liveauctioneers, but that doesn't mean there anymore out there.

From
Alex

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful flag, great display

PArebel

Oct 26, 2007
Clearfield County, PA
Hello,
This probably will not answer whether the flag is authentic. I joined the Friends of Gettysburg several years ago and received a Civil War US Flag. It has 35 stars. I questioned why as there were 23 states left in the Union. The stars for the 11 Confederate States were not removed from the US Flag. The removal of those 11 would have given credence that the Confederate States had seceded. I believe the 35th star was for WVA.
I guess the question concerning your flag is why there are 33 stars.
I hope my facts are straight. Would appreciate if someone could verify this.
Thanks.

OP
OP
S

shortbuss

Apr 14, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello,
This probably will not answer whether the flag is authentic. I joined the Friends of Gettysburg several years ago and received a Civil War US Flag. It has 35 stars. I questioned why as there were 23 states left in the Union. The stars for the 11 Confederate States were not removed from the US Flag. The removal of those 11 would have given credence that the Confederate States had seceded. I believe the 35th star was for WVA.
I guess the question concerning your flag is why there are 33 stars.
I hope my facts are straight. Would appreciate if someone could verify this.
Thanks.

Thanks for your help, but I had read earlier that Lincoln (I think) did not remove the stars for that very reason to give credit to the Confederate States. With that, my question was if the flag is real. But thank's for your help.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The flag may have been kept in a book that ended up getting book worms, this "Vault" may be one of the reasons it survived.

If it were mine I'd keep looking for more authenticity evidence. Cool display!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shortbuss

Apr 14, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
Other
The 33 Star Flag was used from 1859 to 1861 after Oregon was admitted to the Union! See the link below and scroll down to the "33 Star" Flag.

Evolution of the American Flag

I can't attest to the authenticity of the Flag but it may have been used for Political purposes and was tacked to a Buggy or Wagon which may account for the holes.

Rare Flags - Antique American Flags, Historic American Flags

Frank

Thanks frank, that's a good idea, never thought it could have been tacked to something. Thank you for the second website I have not seen that website yet.

From
Alex

arkansas hunter

Jun 30, 2013
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
At pro/Garrett GTI 1500/Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up U.S. flag site on Google. They have a forum and then a section on the forum for collecting and identification

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The holes could be so uniform because maybe at one time the flag was folded then the holes were made by something (ember??) Just an idea

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread