Hey Civil war relic Diggers, as simple Question.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I there an easy way to ID CW period 'Mess Knives, Forks , Spoons, From their rusted out Handles?
I mostly have pieces with handles (where the wood was) & maybe a small portion of blade , or a fork piece with a prong or 2 left.

Just want to know if I should clean these up & display with my other CW era Relics.

Davers:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it came from a known camp or battle area, and looks right (style, corrosion) I display 'em!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it came from a known camp or battle area, and looks right (style, corrosion) I display 'em!

I agree. If it is from the time period and found among other CW relics then the chances are good that a solider used it. I also would and do display as shetch.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always worth saving. I pulled a 1840 CW gun wrench for a creek. Thought it was just junk until I cleaned it. But to your question. I do not know if you can I.D from the handles alone.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply's
These Items are a Tough Call , Ill just go the route PW, RN Suggested "If it's from the right area", Clean it up.
Also I guess I can Get as Many Ref, Books I Can & Save and Take as many pictures of CW era Knives,Forks Etc.
I worry to much.
Davers

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply's
These Items are a Tough Call , Ill just go the route PW, RN Suggested "If it's from the right area", Clean it up.
Also I guess I can Get as Many Ref, Books I Can & Save and Take as many pictures of CW era Knives,Forks Etc.
I worry to much.
Davers

It's nice to know for sure, but sometimes you just can't. Some of the things I display (that were found at known camps) I can't prove with out a dought but they are still relics so I display them. If the correct police do not approve they don't have to look. HH RN

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice to know for sure, but sometimes you just can't. Some of the things I display (that were found at known camps) I can't prove with out a dought but they are still relics so I display them. If the correct police do not approve they don't have to look. HH RN

Sounds good to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread