Need help to ID this cartridge...

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started hunting a new spot yesterday....had a good idea of a civil war camp in the area. Second target was a minnie ball that i gave to owners son. (not pictured) also found a few other bullets....but this cartridge (center) has me puzzled. It is covered in crud, but seems too fragile to clean. The bullet is around .44 cal and overall length is close to 2 inches. It is rimless and has a rearward tapper.....any thoughts???

Attachments

• 20150721_220303.jpg
    20150721_220303.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that the bullet nose sticking out the left side of the cartridge ?
Look's like you have a Burnside Bullet , but that cartridge is def, not for a Burnside. IMO

Are there any small holes on the bottom of it or on the sides near the bottom?
Hmmmm?

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that the bullet nose sticking out the left side of the cartridge ?
Look's like you have a Burnside Bullet , but that cartridge is def, not for a Burnside. IMO

Are there any small holes on the bottom of it or on the sides near the bottom?
Hmmmm?

Yep, thats the bullet....you can see by the bigger diameter that the bullet is half the length of the casing. I beleive it does have a hole in the rear....but not forsure because of corrosion.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe dumb question, but is the casing brass? there were some vulcanized rubber casings used . . .

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe dumb question, but is the casing brass? there were some vulcanized rubber casings used . . .

No...its not brass...not sure what it is....but i found some of those online last night and they are the closest in appearance i have found.....

thanks.

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
of course I could be wrong... it looks exactly like something I found one time that is not a bullet. I realize I'm not giving you any info here, but maybe I can find it in my stuff if I didn't toss it already. mine was also all corroded. I'm thinking it was an electrode for something. I don't know, but If I ever come across mine, I will try to post a pic of it, if this thread is still around.

mjphoto54

Jun 17, 2013
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Omega 8000, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work for a gentleman who is a Civil War 're-enactor and a collector. He says he believes what you have is a 50 caliber Gallagher, steel casing that originally was covered with paper to prevent corrosion. He said they were fairly rare. Hope that helps.

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sears and Robuck token....lol.

Hey don't laugh. Those tokens where made from copper taken from the Statue of Liberty when they did the last referb. Sears was a big sponcer of the restoration. The coins where sent to long time card holders etc. A lot of them where made but still cool.

JimK

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work for a gentleman who is a Civil War 're-enactor and a collector. He says he believes what you have is a 50 caliber Gallagher, steel casing that originally was covered with paper to prevent corrosion. He said they were fairly rare. Hope that helps.

If I recall Correct Gallagher Cases are Kinda shaped like a small Cigar Tube but You never know.
Still trying to ID 'For Sure'.
Maybe You 'OP' can Send a Pic, of it to American Digger Magazine, for the What is it section.
GL
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread