Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Retired television investigative reporter Richard Angelico was robbed of his car Monday night (Sept. 14), seconds after pulling up to his Bayou St. John home.
Returning home around 9 p.m. from a club meeting where he had given a presentation on preserving Civil War relics, the 71-year-old Angelico said he was in the middle of the 3200 block of Grand Route St. John Street when he heard a commotion behind him.
Turning around, he said he saw four young men "with hoodies screaming: 'Give me your keys!'"
Despite one of the four pointing a handgun at him, Angelico, known for his no-nonsense style of investigative journalism, said he didn't comply.
"I said, 'I'm not giving you my keys. You better get out of here before you get in trouble,'" Angelico recalled by phone Tuesday morning. "I kept waiting for the gun to go boom, I guess, but I wasn't going to give anyone the keys to my truck."
One of the men snatched Angelico's car keys out of his hand, New Orleans police said, and the four took off in his truck – a four-door Ford F-150 with Louisiana license plate number C076071.
In doing so, they also took Civil War rifle barrels and artillery shells that Angelico had used during his club presentation earlier that evening The items, Angelico said, are "very rare and very valuable."
"These little a--holes wouldn't know (Civil War relics) from the man in the moon," he said.
New Orleans police arrived quickly, Angelico said, but the quartet made good on its escape. A life-long resident of the New Orleans area, Angelico said he had never been the victim of a crime before Monday night.
Anyone with information about this armed robbery should contact Crimestoppers at 504-822-1111.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread