Nov 28, 2015
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpg
image.jpg

I am new to metal detecting but I think I may have spoiled myself hunting some family land while visiting Vicksburg over Thanksgiving. All of these items were found on a hill that rose up about 300 yards from the MS river. Some of the Minie balls are very pointed and some are more rounded. Any help id'ing any of the bullets would be GREATLY appreciated. The small metal container had several primer caps in it.

Any idea what the buckles would have been used for? I found them about 8 feet apart. Three of the buttons have military markings, one has a checkered pattern on it, and the other has "HAPGRADE" at the top of it. Any information about this stuff would be great. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like 69 and 58 cal three ring mini balls. Google CW bullets and you'll find lots of info. That's a hell of a start Bud!! You are know hooked. Welcome to t-net and the addiction.:beer::thumbup: buckles look like horse tack. The eagle I buttons are in great shape! Congrats

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
glad you joined us sarge!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. The eagle "I" button dates from the 1840s to 1854. The General Service button next to it was used from 1854 to 1901. Yours looks like the early version. Do the buttons have legible backmarks on them? And, is there anything on the front of the small button third from left? I can't help with the Hapgrade except to say that when I do a search it brings up Civil War related sites. But, I can't find your button on any of them. It may be there , I just haven't found it yet. The last button is most likely a civilian button but may date to the same time period.

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. Looks like a great spot buddy. Like said above you hooked on relic hunting now. Welcome to the Tnet. HH TIM

OP
OP
S

Sarge38624

Nov 28, 2015
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. The eagle "I" button dates from the 1840s to 1854. The General Service button next to it was used from 1854 to 1901. Yours looks like the early version. Do the buttons have legible backmarks on them? And, is there anything on the front of the small button third from left? I can't help with the Hapgrade except to say that when I do a search it brings up Civil War related sites. But, I can't find your button on any of them. It may be there , I just haven't found it yet. The last button is most likely a civilian button but may date to the same time period.

Thanks to all of you for the information on the items I found. The small button third from the left has an eagle with a shield in the center. It is very hard to see, but it is there. Is the Eagle "I" button pre civil war? I see that you said 1840's-1854. I assumed it was a civil war era button, but I know very little about this stuff. Is there a way for me to tell if the Minie balls are confederate or union? I am at work right now so I can't look at the buttons, but I think the eagle "I" and the general service button both say "Best Quality" on the back of them. Thanks again for the comments and the welcome.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost all the letter buttons used by the enlisted men were replaced by the general service button in 1854. The Cavalry wasn't formed until 1855 but the enlisted men used the plain shield button and the officers had the letter button. Officer buttons remained the same until 1902 when the new "Great Seal" button was introduced. Then, only the Engineer Corps kept their button design. However the letter buttons were used for many years after the conversion and it is a good bet yours saw civil war service. Is there anything on the backs of the three eagle buttons and can you post a picture of the backs as well as a close up of the small one (third from left)?

Last edited:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to all of you for the information on the items I found. The small button third from the left has an eagle with a shield in the center. It is very hard to see, but it is there. Is the Eagle "I" button pre civil war? I see that you said 1840's-1854. I assumed it was a civil war era button, but I know very little about this stuff. Is there a way for me to tell if the Minie balls are confederate or union? I am at work right now so I can't look at the buttons, but I think the eagle "I" and the general service button both say "Best Quality" on the back of them. Thanks again for the comments and the welcome.

As you've already been rightly told, it is 99% sure that your pre-CW Eagle I (For infantry) saw CW action. We find many in central Virginia. Your buttons are "on the money." Your upper left bullet looks like a .69 cal as you've been told. The others look to be .58 cal. here's the thing on bullets - all your bullets appear to be unfired. Your .58s are most likely Union made (3-rings) but the south made a few. However . . . remember the south was using whatever it could get. They often "seized" northern supplies when they could (For example, the local armory) so any 3-ring bullet MIGHT have been used by the south. More likely the North tho. Your .69 is a puzzle. We usually consider .69s to be southern simply because it is an inferior cal by the CW and was most likely used in Grandpa's 1812 gun, etc. Most union soldiers had more up to date weaponry. Less likely to be using the "old" technology of .69 cal. But it's not unheard of. having said all that, consider the CONTEXT of your finds. Many dropped union bullets. Union uniform buttons. Most likely ALL from union soldiers. Do you know any history of the site? Any record of a camp there? I ask because you've found buttons, unfired bullets, a rivet, Percussion caps in a container (That's KILLER if CW BTW) and NO shell frags or fired bullets. This screams short-term camp or picket-post to me. Your percussion caps in the container look like pistol caps to me. I'd sure like to see some close-up, different views of the caps and container. All around, a GREAT hunt, and super first post. I'd find a way to get back there SOON and OFTEN. Want a hunting partner?!

mspence

Aug 25, 2011
Sarge, the little button 3rd from right looks like a new your button, are there stars around the outside of the button and do you see excelsior across the bottom? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449764830.233114.jpg
Would look like the smaller one of these I found. Great day out you had bud. Be safe

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum Sarge. The best way to know what type of bullets you are finding is to buy a caliper.i have posted a like below for the site we bought ours from. It will come in handy when you start finding more diverse types. You did really well on that hunt!

http://www.harborfreight.com/

Last edited:

Diggerwes

Greenie
Feb 12, 2016
East Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found button today with hapgrade on it also. No clue trying to do some research myself 20160212_183937.jpg

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice group of relics... Congrats and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread