Found a few items north of Pea Ridge Battlefield today. A little help iding please

Sarge38624

Nov 28, 2015
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a few items north of Pea Ridge Battlefield today. A little help id'ing please

So I went to my in-laws ranch just north of Pea Ridge Arkansas today and did some detecting. I found four 69 caliber Minie balls. I also found a musketball and another Minie ball but I can't identify the Minie ball. It is .69 caliber I think but instead of having three rings like the others, it seems to only have one wide ring. It is also a little shorter than the others.

I also found an ax head in the same area, but I don't know how to tell if it is civil war era. I also found a piece of lead that is rectangular in shape. I have no idea what it is but would appreciate any ideas if you guys have any. image.jpg

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help with identification, but congrats on the great finds! Every time I drive past there I wish I could stop and start detecting!

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A better picture would help with the bullet. A picture of the base would help also. Nice finds buddy. HH Merry Christmas

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet Sarge. Yes a little bigger picture of the bullet in question would be most helpful.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the bottom was cut off. How does it compare to the other 69s in length?

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree it looks like a carved bullet. I thought you might have a triangle base or something but that's not the case. Anyway nice finds buddy. HH

gunfighter6

Greenie
Jun 17, 2012
Western Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett 750 (long time ago!)
Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to live just north of there, in Purdy, MO. Every time I went down to the VA I passed Pea Ridge BF. I thought about volunteering with the Park Service just to see what I could find. I was running around off in a corner away from the roads and watched some of the NPS people find some amazing things! It was right on the border and someday I will buy some land near there just to search (I was with a local agency looking for a bonehead with warrant that was supposed to be hiding down there) Good luck

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a piece of rectangular lead that looks exactly like yours a couple days ago.
i'm pretty sure that it is a carved bullet.
for the .69, it does appear that the base was cut off for some reason??

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone could have cut the base to make a checker or a chess piece or just about anything they needed it to be.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Digs .
Again love those 69's

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I live just north of there across the state line. I have a few leads of my own that I'm going to check out by Sugar Creek. Supposedly a confederate camp.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I know why all of the new fence just went up.

The rectangle thing looks like a wheel weight to me.

Last edited:

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Work on those rescues,
I have found a museum site online with ax heads and picks from an union camp, but Im not sure if treasurenet allows me to post websites on the forum. There are great photos online.
Best,
Alabama11

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions