Civil War Bullet?

sosa961

Jan 31, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found what looks like a lead bullet, but am not sure how to date it. Any thoughts?

IMG_7677.JPG
IMG_7679.JPG
IMG_7680.JPG

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
.52 Sharps? I am no bullet expert. Great find.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Interesting IMO.
Measurements would help a-lot.

Maybe Been carved on ???IDK
depends a-lot on the Caliber.
GL I would love to know as well.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sosa961

Jan 31, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! Here are a a couple pics with measurements and a pic of the base. This is really exciting! I've never found one of these and it has always been on the bucket list.

IMG_7683.JPG IMG_7684.JPG IMG_7685.JPG IMG_7687.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7686.jpg
    IMG_7686.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks old from the patina buddy. Nice find & may you find many more. HH buddy

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have to say that despite having been a digger and dealer of civil war bullets for almost 40 years, I do not recognize it. That makes me suspect it might be from a few years after the end of the civil war... but of course, I could be wrong. Thanks for the GREAT photo showing the bullet's diameter measured with a TRANSPARENT ruler. (Never seen that done before, and it's a very helpful method.) The diameter appears to be about .56-inch, which puts it in the area of a Military rifle or carbine. Your bullet having a solid base means it was made for use in a Breechloader. You might want to post your photo and an ID-request in the Bullets section at the Civil War Projectiles forum at bulletandshell.com.

OP
OP
S

sosa961

Jan 31, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say that despite having been a digger and dealer of civil war bullets for almost 40 years, I do not recognize it. That makes me suspect it might be from a few years after the end of the civil war... but of course, I could be wrong. Thanks for the GREAT photo showing the bullet's diameter measured with a TRANSPARENT ruler. (Never seen that done before, and it's a very helpful method.) The diameter appears to be about .56-inch, which puts it in the area of a Military rifle or carbine. Your bullet having a solid base means it was made for use in a Breechloader. You might want to post your photo and an ID-request in the Bullets section at the Civil War Projectiles forum at bulletandshell.com.

Awesome, will do. Thank you for the advice! That would make sense as it was found near a 19th century homesite. But was also a mile or two from a CW battle.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again I keep looking at my book 'A Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges ' & I keep going back to page 29, and the .54 caliber Sharps & Hankins , (Old Model) Carbine, it's very similar & with weathering & ground action on your bullet .....it's a Tough call.

Is there any hint of a 'Rebate' just above the Big ring? This would show where the bullet was inserted or held in the Metal Cartridge

It also states that this Bullet 'until recently was mistakenly identified as being for the Ballard Carbine.'

Please let us/me know if you get a positive ID.
Thanks ....Davers

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The civil war bullet gurus over at the bulletandshell.com Civil War Projectiles Forum have agreed it is a civil war Sharps & Hankins "Old Model" bullet, as you suspected it is, Davers. That was my guess when I first read this thread... but in Sosa961's photos (seen above), his bullet's main body-groove looks "rounded" instead of square-edged as we see on a Sharps & Hankins bullet. Also, his bullet has been fired, which changed the shape of its body somewhat. (That's why I sent him to the Civil War Projectiles Forum for bullet-identification.) I've come to believe his S&H bullet's main body-groove simply hasn't had all the white concretion cleaned out of its edges, which makes it LOOK rounded. Kinda like what we see in the photo below, where all the red clay didn't get removed from the body-groove's edges.

Attachments

• bullet_Sharps&Hankins_Old-Model_52caliber-diameter555_photobyHenrique_467-1.jpg
    bullet_Sharps&Hankins_Old-Model_52caliber-diameter555_photobyHenrique_467-1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The civil war bullet gurus over at the bulletandshell.com Civil War Projectiles Forum have agreed it is a civil war Sharps & Hankins "Old Model" bullet, as you suspected it is, Davers. That was my guess when I first read this thread... but in Sosa961's photos (seen above), his bullet's main body-groove looks "rounded" instead of square-edged as we see on a Sharps & Hankins bullet. Also, his bullet has been fired, which changed the shape of its body somewhat. (That's why I sent him to the Civil War Projectiles Forum for bullet-identification.) I've come to believe his S&H bullet's main body-groove simply hasn't had all the white concretion cleaned out of its edges, which makes it LOOK rounded. Kinda like what we see in the photo below, where all the red clay didn't get removed from the body-groove's edges.

Thanks Man.
It makes a guy feel good when someone as knowledgeable as TheCannonballGuy agrees with you.

Davers

S

stefen

Possible, and yet maybe not...

Coulda been fired after the war...no way of telling

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible, and yet maybe not...

Coulda been fired after the war...no way of telling

Well let's just say it's CW Era.

OP
OP
S

sosa961

Jan 31, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I'll take CW Era! Thanks again guys, really appreciate the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread