December Finds at Union Camp - Help identify

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello All,
Was fortunate to retrieve these artifacts before they were buried for ever. If anyone would like to identify any of these then please respond.
The spectemur agendo button is unclear so I will resend.
From Alabama 034new_edited-1.jpg

Upvote 0

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting finds!!
i'm sure someone will be able to tell you exactly what you have here.
Congrats!!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the triangle shaped item is a knap sack part ...the two bottom right items are "tent rope tighteners "-- the bottom row middle item is a buckle ...top row left item is a broken off part of a spur from a cavalry riders spurs,, the washer looking items --might be tent or clothing rivet hole type items or washers of some type

in latin... spectmur agendo ... means roughly --what good is words / let us be judged by our actions--

Last edited:
OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Sir.

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spectemur Agendo button

The button is larger than a quarter and has heavy red corrosion on the backside. Hoping this photo is better. It was found within 3 meters of several of the other recoveries so it could be associated. There are two other buttons of this type which were posted on line from GA and each was associated with a Civil War site. One from "The Trenches of Atlanta". IMAG0537a.jpg

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the rope tensioners have a patent date on them? I have found several with a Nov. 30 90 date. Also, would you please post a picture of the back?

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While you may have some CW relics here, there is a little bit of controversy over the tent rope tensioners. Apparently these were not patented until post CW. These danged things come out of camps all too often but they can't be given any attribution to the CW camp, but rather a later campsite...post war. Personally I am not convinced, I have found them in CW camps right along period artifacts and I know many others have too. I think that while a patent was secured sometime after the war, the usage of these may have been earlier before a patent was applied for. Seems that ones found in CW camps do not bear the patent date information that existed on the later ones....JMO but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it:laughing7:.

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They do have a date. Looks like NOV. 30 80. There were Spanish American War Soldier Camps in this area too.
IMAG0545a.jpg

Spats

May 8, 2015
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found these tent tighteners in Civil War camps also. They didn't have dates. I look closely at every Civil War photograph that has a tent in it. I have yet to find one that definitively show these tighteners, but I sure would like to.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wrote an article for the North/South Trader's Civil War magazine, giving fairly solid proof that they are from no earlier than the 1880s. Like Spats has already said here, the article mentioned that NONE of these tentrope adjusters are visible in careful close-up examination of civil war photos showing tents. The article included the official US Army Quartermaster General document attached below, stating that they were adopted for Army use on January 5, 1889.

Attachments

• tent-rope-adjuster_POSTWAR_1889-US-Army-document_adoption-of-tent-slips.jpg
    tent-rope-adjuster_POSTWAR_1889-US-Army-document_adoption-of-tent-slips.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alabama11, here is the original US Patent's diagram of the brass tent-rope adjuster ("tent-slip") drawn by it's inventor, H.B. Thompson. If you'd like to read Mr. Thompson's description of his invention and how it is "an improvement" over the wooden adjusters used in the civil war {and earlier), go to:
pat2pdf.org
and type the Patent-number (234,896) into the search function.

Attachments

• tent-rope-adjuster_POSTWAR_tent-slip-patent-diagram-1880.jpg
    tent-rope-adjuster_POSTWAR_tent-slip-patent-diagram-1880.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
well if their dated 80(1880) then they are Spanish American war troop items --since the civil war ended in 1865 ---there are exsamples of undated versions ...which might have been made earlier ( during the civil war )

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the inventor's US Patent application, he says his "tent-slip" is an improvement over earlier versions. The shape of the undated ones is the same as the dated ones. So, the shape of the inventor's version did not exist before he patented it. If that shape of tent-rope adjuster had been in existence during the civil war, the US Patent Office would have denied Mr. Thompson's 1880 application for a patent on his design. In other words, if the device has been being manufactured for years WITHOUT being Patent-protected, you can't show up at the Patent Office after all those years and claim, "Hey, that device is my invention and I want a Patent so nobody can make it or sell it but me."

Sidenote: civil war photos show that at that time tent-rope adjusters were made of wood.

In the 1800s a US Patent (with its legal protection for the invention) only lasted for 17 years. After the Patent expired there's no point in putting the Patent notification on the item. Logic suggests the unmarked ones were made after the Patent expired.

Last edited:
OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent Research, Thank you.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The button is larger than a quarter and has heavy red corrosion on the backside. Hoping this photo is better. It was found within 3 meters of several of the other recoveries so it could be associated. There are two other buttons of this type which were posted on line from GA and each was associated with a Civil War site. One from "The Trenches of Atlanta". View attachment 1263250

That's a known fashion button - iron backed, hence your red corrosion.

Waterbury still makes the pattern as far as i know, and it has been a popular motif since the early 1900's.

The entire state of Georgia can be associated with the ACW in at least some way if you try hard enough, and is purely coincidental.

Nice finds!

EDIT: Dug this up for ya:
http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=52&idproduct=29527

~Tejaas~

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrote an article for the North/South Trader's Civil War magazine, giving fairly solid proof that they are from no earlier than the 1880s. Like Spats has already said here, the article mentioned that NONE of these tentrope adjusters are visible in careful close-up examination of civil war photos showing tents. The article included the official US Army Quartermaster General document attached below, stating that they were adopted for Army use on January 5, 1889.

Yeah CBG.....I still see them in Many peoples Display Cases.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
so spanish american war military issue ...esp. if the area was used as a camp ground area for troops during that time frame (1899 - 1901)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions