Always make notes and bag and label your finds...............................

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
and here is why. I found this several years ago and like everyone else I showed it too figured it was a breast plate that had lost it's brass skin. I found it in the river. One friend I emailed pictures too called once he saw the pictures and said that he didn't think that it was a normal breast plate. 2008 is when I found it. Fast forward to yesterday. He calls and tells me he is sure that it is one of the rare one's. Mine is not whole, there are pieces missing from it from being in the river for a 150+ years and it has been suggested that I get it rebuilt because it would be worth more. I haven't decided if I am going to sell it or not but according to my friend and the info he has been sending it is one of 3 known which makes it awful rare simply because it is made of pewter and one of the first designs. It took me an hour to find what box it was in but when I did I pulled it out and on the zip lock bag I had written what, where and when with a magic marker on the bag. 50 years from now some of the more common stuff we find may be worth something and the grandkids will know what it is regardless of what it's worth. Make notes and identify stuff it will be great for the family if nothing else...d2

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on Man!

I also label 'Most' everything I did (all CW) & Maybe CW Items, from where I dug them & when.

Needless to say I need/use many more 4 x 4 or Smaller Riker Boxes .

Cause in the Future you never Know. .

S

stefen

No argument...

Might want to add a card with other facts.

Thinking of doing the same...even with other items such as tools and other collectables...

I've spent some good money for things and would hate to see them placed in a garage sale environment for pennies on the dollar...

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bad news on the breast plate pictured above..... After further investigation from the time I posted this till yesterday afternoon it has been decided that it is a common issue breast plate with no brass skin. Apparently after years and years in the water they will sometimes dissolve or apparently come off. Oh well, it wasn't eating anything before I relocated it and ain't eating anything now. But labeling stuff is still a great idea. I did find some fairly rare bullets in one box. One carved one that I would hate to show in mixed company, several .54 MS. rifle bullets and some others. Sorta let down about the breast plate but not that bad. I probably wouldn't have sold it anyway...d2

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Plate is still a Nice Find ,No matter if it's Pewter or Lead .
I know.. Still would have been Killer for it to be the Rare Pewter One.

Thx For the Update.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread