Question For Thecannonballguy Regarding Cannister Shot

Spats

May 8, 2015
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Many years ago, we had access to a confederate ammunition depot that was blown up by the confederates ahead of occupation by the union. We found a few Bormann shells, lots of lead, and lots of canister balls. Among the canister were many iron balls measuring .825 and .7 inches. As this was in a remote area that has seen little activity since the end of the war, I never questioned their authenticity as canister shot. I have looked at the charts you have provided and can't find anything smaller than one inch. Any ideas as to whether these could have been used by the south as canister? Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, that is possible, particularly in view of the remoteness lessening the likelihood of the dig-site being contaminated with postwar civilian or industrial balls.

A longtime friend of mine named David Gotter specializes in collecting and DOCUMENTING civil war Canister. He has won several awards for his very-extensive display of civil war Canister ammunition at relic-shows. He has size-data for canister balls which are smaller than 1" in diameter. I'll send you a PM with his email address.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread