Cannon Ball Fuse - Identity

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Biddle Rosette Shell is what I found on line , but no shell photo or description. It is 2.5 inches long and .75 inches in width, but is missing a piece of the structure. Gunboats were in the neighborhood and it was found associated with a houseplace site.
IMAG0582.jpg best,

According to the Cannonball Guy "The new photos and the addition of the ruler are making it look like a US Navy version of Hotchkiss Percussion fuze, missing its flat top." This question is now solved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was this piece in the group of relics you pictured in a post before?
TCBG or some other Artillery Lover will chime in hopefully Soon.

I know next to nothing about Fuses , having only dug one Parrot fuse 15 years ago.
GL & HH ,Seem you got a pretty good site.
Davers

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is the width .75" across the threaded area or the smooth area? Based on the measurements and info you gave and what the photo shows, it appears to be a US Navy Watercap fuzeplug which is missing its dated "lip." It was screwed into a larger threaded larger bushing, which is usually present but is missing on yours. I said "it appears to be" because I need to see photos of both ends of it to be certain about its ID.

Your statements about the dig-site indicate it was fired off of one of the yankee navy gunboats. It would been in a Heavy Caliber shell, which on a "gunboat" (smaller than a Monitor-Class ironclad) ranged from 6.4"-caliber to 9"-caliber. Here's a photo showing an intact US navy Watercap fuzeplug in a sawed-in-half 7"-caliber roundshell from the Southern part of your state.

Attachments

• shell_halfsection_7inch_Navy-Watercap_SpanishFort-Alabama_B&S_photobyEmike_DSCN1543.jpg
    shell_halfsection_7inch_Navy-Watercap_SpanishFort-Alabama_B&S_photobyEmike_DSCN1543.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The threaded piece was in an earlier post , but there are two areas that are seperated by a river that the other artifacts came from. Only the pistol trigger guard and two small buckles came from the fuse area and that location has only been hunted 1 time for 3 hours. About 15 bullets were found 300 yards away. Working at adding some more of the fuse photos and dimensions.
Best and thanks for the comments. IMAG0602.jpg IMAG0606.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0611.jpg
    IMAG0611.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The new photos and the addition of the ruler are making it look like a US Navy version of Hotchkiss Percussion fuze, missing its flat top. To be certain about that ID, I need to see a view of the threaded end.

A navy Watercap fuze missing its dated lip/top looks almost exactly the same, but the threading-rate is different from a Hotchkiss Percussion fuze, which has 12 threads-per-inch. The ruler in your photo seems to show 9 threads on 3/4-inch of threading, which equals 12 threads-per-inch.

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since we have found no other fragments of the shell i suspect the fuse was picked up in the agricultural field and brought to the house place. If the shell exploded in the ground there should be a visible crater nearby. Something to look for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread