W.B.CO. SUPERFINE GOLD PLATE Infantry Button, Sharps, & possible Dragoons rifle lead

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
W.B.CO. SUPERFINE GOLD PLATE Infantry Button, Sharps, & possible Dragoons rifle lead

My relic hunting buddy called me yest with no notice, and asked if i wanted to go hunt an area we scouted last fall.
At the end of that last scouting trip we happened upon a Sharps round and a few smaller cal. minnie balls.
We wanted to go back to this area sooner, but hunting season was just around the corner, and we were asked to wait until hunting season was over before we could go back.
I dont get a chance to hunt CW very often, so needless to say i was en route and making double time.

So yesterday was our first time to get back in there since last fall. Surprisingly the woods had thinned out quite a bit, which worked to our advantage.
We didnt have alot of time after a long drive and a 1/2 mile trek through some areas with thick underbrush, so we headed straight to where we had found the lead last fall.
First couple digs were melted lead and a broken skeleton key, then 50 feet away another broken key. If those keys could talk.
Then i dig a shotgun shell beside a tree. I went around the tree and 5 feet away i get another shotgun shell hit with the deus, but this one wasnt a shotgun shell.
It turned out to be a Union Infantry button with W.B.CO. SUPERFINE GOLD PLATE Backmark about 7 inches down. Guess thats why you gotta dig those shotgun shells.
Havent had a chance to ID the button yet, but i would love some help. It looks to have an unusually large I in the shield.
Not far away i dig a small conical bullet with a solid base. It kind of looks like a baby sharps. It measures .44 x .74". Not sure if it is 1 ring or 2 rings, but it kind of looks like it could be from a colt dragoons later model rifle. #80 page 26 of the M&M book.
No far away i dig some more melted lead and then a sharps round, which is my second sharps. I love those, and they are rare for us to dig. The sharps measures .52 x 96" on my cheap set of calipers.
I think the closest match in the m&m book for the sharps would be #180 page 34.
After the sharps i dug a little more melted lead and a few fired roundballs.

We wanted to stay longer, but it was getting dark, and we still had to hike out, so we had to leave while we could still see a little bit.
So we were intially thinking we had discovered a possible small cavalry campsite near where we believe a few older houses once stood, mostly because of the small caliber rifle bullets; however, finding the Infantry button kind of throws that theory off a bit.
Hopefully we can get back in that area soon with more time to hunt, before the underbrush starts growing again.
Thanks for looking. Any help with ID's would be appreciated.

UPDATE: I just took some better pics of the button, and was able to get a little better details on the backmark.
I couldnt find the button in Alberts book, and couldnt find it in Tices book either.
I spent a little time looking at Waterbury backmarks in Tices book and found a pic of what i think my backmark is supposed to look like.
According to Tices book, the SUPERFINE GOLD PLATE W.B.CO. mark was used 1870-1890.
I could be wrong, but im starting to believe my button, bullets, etc, could be post CW era.
I hope someone can tell me more and i hope i am wrong, but due to what im reading, my site and finds could be post CW.
Please Advise.
Id like to add that the reason why i believe this could have been CW, is because we know there was CW activity in this area.
Without giving up too much info. The site is at the entrance of a main waterway, and we believe there were confederate saltworks in this area, due to google imagery.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• P2290001.JPG
    P2290001.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 145
  • P2290005.JPG
    P2290005.JPG
    404.1 KB · Views: 133
  • P2290007.JPG
    P2290007.JPG
    321.5 KB · Views: 147
  • P2290004.JPG
    P2290004.JPG
    457.9 KB · Views: 148
  • P2290004.JPG
    P2290004.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 139
  • P2290006.JPG
    P2290006.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 161
  • P2290001.JPG
    P2290001.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Picture0229161332_1.jpg
    Picture0229161332_1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds buddy. Do you know that officers were the only ones to have gold buttons.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds buddy. Do you know that officers were the only ones to have gold buttons.
Thanks Digger. I was not aware that only officers were the ones to have gold gilt buttons.
The Infantry button was my first. I have dug several plain G.S. buttons, but this was my first to have a marking inside the shield
Any idea as to the date of the infantry button and backmark.?
What i found in Tices book about the backmark questions the whole validity of my claim that these are civil war finds.
I would love to know more.

Last edited:

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Finds BP!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Great hunt. Looks like a good place.

HH, Relic Nut

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to my reference "American Military Button Makers & Dealers; Their Backmarks and Dates". "W.B. Co. superfine gold plated" buttons are post war US staff. But, one button does not date a site, especially a home site.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
According to my reference "American Military Button Makers & Dealers; Their Backmarks and Dates". "W.B. Co. superfine gold plated" buttons are post war US staff. But, one button does not date a site, especially a home site.
Thanks for responding Fyr. My Warren Tices book said the same thing, but im still somewhat new to relic hunting, and thought maybe i could have missed something in the book.
I agree what you are saying, "one button does not date a site". My only fear is that the one button we dug was near the hot spot where we found most of the bullets..

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many infantry buttons had gold gilt? As in the infantry "I " buttons. Nice digs!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on some awesome finds! That button looks great! As far as the dates, maybe some Union soldiers were stationed there post war and received new duds. That could also possibly explain cavalry being there during the war, and infantry after. Just spitballing.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My relic hunting buddy called me yest with no notice, and asked if i wanted to go hunt an area we scouted last fall.
At the end of that last scouting trip we happened upon a Sharps round and a few smaller cal. minnie balls.
We wanted to go back to this area sooner, but hunting season was just around the corner, and we were asked to wait until hunting season was over before we could go back.
I dont get a chance to hunt CW very often, so needless to say i was en route and making double time.

So yesterday was our first time to get back in there since last fall. Surprisingly the woods had thinned out quite a bit, which worked to our advantage.
We didnt have alot of time after a long drive and a 1/2 mile trek through some areas with thick underbrush, so we headed straight to where we had found the lead last fall.
First couple digs were melted lead and a broken skeleton key, then 50 feet away another broken key. If those keys could talk.
Then i dig a shotgun shell beside a tree. I went around the tree and 5 feet away i get another shotgun shell hit with the deus, but this one wasnt a shotgun shell.
It turned out to be a Union Infantry button with W.B.CO. SUPERFINE GOLD PLATE Backmark about 7 inches down. Guess thats why you gotta dig those shotgun shells.
Havent had a chance to ID the button yet, but i would love some help. It looks to have an unusually large I in the shield.
Not far away i dig a small conical bullet with a solid base. It kind of looks like a baby sharps. It measures .44 x .74". Not sure if it is 1 ring or 2 rings, but it kind of looks like it could be from a colt dragoons later model rifle. #80 page 26 of the M&M book.
No far away i dig some more melted lead and then a sharps round, which is my second sharps. I love those, and they are rare for us to dig. The sharps measures .52 x 96" on my cheap set of calipers.
I think the closest match in the m&m book for the sharps would be #180 page 34.
After the sharps i dug a little more melted lead and a few fired roundballs.

We wanted to stay longer, but it was getting dark, and we still had to hike out, so we had to leave while we could still see a little bit.
So we were intially thinking we had discovered a possible small cavalry campsite near where we believe a few older houses once stood, mostly because of the small caliber rifle bullets; however, finding the Infantry button kind of throws that theory off a bit.
Hopefully we can get back in that area soon with more time to hunt, before the underbrush starts growing again.
Thanks for looking. Any help with ID's would be appreciated.

UPDATE: I just took some better pics of the button, and was able to get a little better details on the backmark.
I couldnt find the button in Alberts book, and couldnt find it in Tices book either.
I spent a little time looking at Waterbury backmarks in Tices book and found a pic of what i think my backmark is supposed to look like.
According to Tices book, the SUPERFINE GOLD PLATE W.B.CO. mark was used 1870-1890.
I could be wrong, but im starting to believe my button, bullets, etc, could be post CW era.
I hope someone can tell me more and i hope i am wrong, but due to what im reading, my site and finds could be post CW.
Please Advise.
Id like to add that the reason why i believe this could have been CW, is because we know there was CW activity in this area.
Without giving up too much info. The site is at the entrance of a main waterway, and we believe there were confederate saltworks in this area, due to google imagery.
Thanks again.

I see I have missed a few things here in the Civil War Forum, Some nice stuff to.

Civil War or Post War (late 1800's) U still got some fine relics, Try to hunt that site some more & maybe you can figure out an 'For Sure' or Estimated Time the Site was in use.

P.S. My memory is Bad, Did you post the Bullet that was Mushroomed & it looked like the base had been filled in ?
If so the bullet with the flat base look a-lot like that one. If I'm wrong ; forget I mentioned it.

Love the Button CW or not.
HH
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread