Bormann Fuse Question

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys,

I found a 12 pound projectile a week or so ago. It has the Bormann fuse that the soldier evidently punched at the 5 second mark.

My question is this: can anyone tell me whether or not this dude may have a 1/2 second line? In other words, can anyone here determine if this fuse may have two hash marks before the number 1 mark? I know the pictures are bad, but the fuse is somewhat corroded, too. I'm just hoping against hope that somebody here might know how to examine the picture even if the hash marks, even numbers, are not so visible. The Bormann fuse has, what I seem to think, a 60-65 degree pie slice (could be wrong, bad with angles). I seem to see a hash mark very close to the pie slice. Because it's so close, i'm just wondering if the experts might could give me an educated guess as to 1 or 2 hash marks before the number 1.

I post below two pictures of the same item. Each picture was taken in different lighting in order to aid in observation. Again, I'm not really expecting much, and really thought about not posting. But what the heck . . . . worth a try, I say. Thanks!

Attachments

• Bormann Fuse 2016.jpg
    Bormann Fuse 2016.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 140
  • Bormann fuse 2 2016.jpg
    Bormann fuse 2 2016.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your Bormann fuze has the smaller version of what I call the "pipe-hump" or "flame-pipe" at the center of the left wall of the wrench slot, so it is Confederate-made. Yankee-made Bormann fuzes which have a single wrench-slot have a larger version of the pipe-hump/flame-pipe. Being Confederate-made, your fuze does have two lines located counterclockwise from the short line under the number 1. (It has the half-second line.)

What I call the "pipe-hump" or "flame-pipe" is what carries the flame from the zero end of the internal powder-train over into the center of the fuze. The tunnel which carries the flame passes through the edge of the wrench-slot, so there is a "hump" at that spot in the wrench-slot. Here's a photo which I hope more clearly shows the "hump" I'm talking about. This one, like yours, is Confederate-made. The "hump" is much bigger on yankee-made Bormann fuzes.

Attachments

• fuze_Bormann_CS_Small-Pipehump_best_ebay_ROTATED.jpg
    fuze_Bormann_CS_Small-Pipehump_best_ebay_ROTATED.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks CG, you never fail to amaze me with your knowledge!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread