CW Finds From The Few Weeks

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture 045.jpg Picture 031.jpg Picture 037.jpg Picture 038.jpg Picture 041.jpg Picture 043.jpg Picture 044.jpg

The site I discovered over a month ago is still giving up relics. Although it doesn't seem to want to and the finds are few and far between now.
(Don't get me wrong I am thankful for every Civil War relic I can dig these days)

The carved piece pictured beside the Williams Cleaner really surprised me though it seems to have been dropped and possibly stepped on after it was lost. In my opinion it's likely a pawn for playing Chess but you really never know.

The padlock is turning out pretty well it's only the second of this type I have ever found.

Also been blessed with at least 6 GS buttons from this pretty small site 3 in February and these 3 in the last weeks of March. I think it's cool to have gotten 3 different sizes including a cuff "I" and all are in decent shape. Lastly I'll take all the percussion caps and bullets any site is willing this poor relic hunter.

Thanks again to my lovely wife for all her help with these posts and pics :thumbsup:
Thanks for looking Happy Hunting and Be Safe Out There
Davers

P.S. Though its not CW era thought the RR button was cool 8-)

Upvote 0

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great work. Many cool finds. You must be in a great area. What is the object behind the two hollow point bullets.

Last edited:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great saves Davers!! Anything CW is a great find in my book. I love carved lead! One of my favorite finds.[emoji106] [emoji106]

HH, Relic Nut

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great saves Davers!! Anything CW is a great find in my book. I love carved lead! One of my favorite finds.[emoji106] [emoji106]

HH, Relic Nut

I know you love the Carved Pieces , I was thinking of u when I was posting.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the Enfield Lock plate. Great finds!!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ditto what Isaac said about that old Enfield lock plate,super cool find.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto what Isaac said about that old Enfield lock plate,super cool find.

Y'all really think the the Lock Plate is off an Enfield ?

This ones been kinda tuff to ID.

It's also on the What is it Forum, with CBG 's Opinion.

P.S. The title should read 'CW Finds From the Past few Weeks' . My wife likes to make me look dumb , lol

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. On the cuff button are you sure that is an "I" and not a "V"? Can you make out the backmark on it? Maybe "Scovills & Co."? If it is a V that is a one year only button made in 1847.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on being back in the saddle in a big way. I'm in a heckuva slump!

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. On the cuff button are you sure that is an "I" and not a "V"? Can you make out the backmark on it? Maybe "Scovills & Co."? If it is a V that is a one year only button made in 1847.

It's a pretty bad pic, 'Sorry' ; I'm pretty Sure it's a I , Really have not looked at it since the Picture & taking the case to my Club Meeting.
Just did a Quick dry brushing of those relics so I did not clean the Backs that well .
But
I will def , Check again ... I did think the 'I' looked a little damaged.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on being back in the saddle in a big way. I'm in a heckuva slump!

Thanks for the nice comment PW.
Ill bet you will be back on some good stuff Soon.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Davers, I genuinely regret to have to tell you, the "carved bulet" is actually a latter-20th-Century "Maxi Ball" bullet, made for Blackpowder Rifle shooters... as shown in the images below. The name "Maxi Ball" is of course a deliberate playing-around on the name "Minie Ball." The black-&-white image shows several varieties of modernday Lyman Mold "repro" minies and bullets for sale at Blackpowder supplies dealer trackofthewolf.com. The box of Maxi Ball bullets with the illustration on the label removes any doubt... even though a dug one with nice grey-white patina on it is shown in the photo next to the box.

The yellow on the ones in the other image is "bore butter," a waxy yellow bore-lubricant applied by the manufacturer (mentioned on the box's label).

Attachments

• bullet_REPRODUCTION_Lyman-Mold-58caliber_3groove-and-2groove_575213-and-577611_Trackofthewolfdot.jpg
    bullet_REPRODUCTION_Lyman-Mold-58caliber_3groove-and-2groove_575213-and-577611_Trackofthewolfdot.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 127
  • bullet_MODERN_blackpowder_Maxiball_short-medium-tall_7795Medium.jpg
    bullet_MODERN_blackpowder_Maxiball_short-medium-tall_7795Medium.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 145
  • bullet_MODERN_blackpowder_Maxiball_Texas-slugs_CWP.jpg
    bullet_MODERN_blackpowder_Maxiball_Texas-slugs_CWP.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers, I genuinely regret to have to tell you, the "carved bulet" is actually a latter-20th-Century "Maxi Ball" bullet, made for Blackpowder Rifle shooters... as shown in the images below. The name "Maxi Ball" is of course a deliberate playing-around on the name "Minie Ball." The black-&-white image shows several varieties of modernday Lyman Mold "repro" minies and bullets for sale at Blackpowder supplies dealer trackofthewolf.com. The box of Maxi Ball bullets with the illustration on the label removes any doubt... even though a dug one with nice grey-white patina on it is shown in the photo next to the box.

The yellow on the ones in the other image is "bore butter," a waxy yellow bore-lubricant applied by the manufacturer (mentioned on the box's label).

You Know Cannon ball Guy.
That's Exactly what I thought it was when I first dug it. Having seen the pic's you posted at sometime in the past.

I dug it and many of the other pieces on a Sunday Then dry Scrubbed everything at the last min, on a Tuesday for a 'Find of the month meeting , at my club'.

I set everything out a Multi Relic & a Veteran Digger came up to me & said "Why don't u put that Carved piece into relic of the month, I was like "what carved Piece"? He then pointed out said bullet.

I figured OK , He has MUCH! more experience than I .

Since then I have thought about what kind of bullet it could have been carved from (With the High Ring & was still kinda Suspect about it).

Thank you so much for Confirming my doubts.

I think in my original post , I stated my suspicions about that one , & threw it into the Riker as a Joke & was gonna call it my 'Ding Dong Bullet'.

I know you don't like commenting of peoples posts with out being asked , but feel free to comment on any of my posts in the future .

Thanks again
Davers

As I looked again , I see that I did not mention my Suspicions , but took note that it looked fired ; hence my assumption it may have been stepped on.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Davers: those are some great recoveries!
The padlocks and lock plate/spring , bullets, (including modified to hollow points) buttons, ...wow.

A spent percussion cap did it's duty.
Not a thing wrong with preserving them.

In the picture with your caps are a trigger guard fragment and a tang broken off the rear of a barrel.
A lot of trauma busted up weapons somewhere/sometime..

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers: those are some great recoveries!
The padlocks and lock plate/spring , bullets, (including modified to hollow points) buttons, ...wow.

A spent percussion cap did it's duty.
Not a thing wrong with preserving them.

In the picture with your caps are a trigger guard fragment and a tang broken off the rear of a barrel.
A lot of trauma busted up weapons somewhere/sometime..

Thanks Very Much for your kind Comments, finding Civil War Relics can be hard work these days.
GL & May pleasing finds come your way Soon.
Davers :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread