Please help identify

stoogeco

Apr 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I recently purchased a collection of lead bullets, and there were 2 items that I'm trying to identify. They both are about the size of a nickel, and have writing on both sides. Any help is greatly appreciated. Any help identifying anything else in the photos would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you! IMG_1399.JPG IMG_1400.JPG IMG_1401.JPG

Upvote 0

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds. I see some round bullets. Maybe 50 or 58 caliber. We dont get 69 cal around here so i have never seen one of them. Keep hunting that place.

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two round pieces with the numbers and letters on them look like bale seals. Look closely at the edge and see if there are wire remnants. They may only be two small dark or rusty spots.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say Bale Seals as well.

Hmmmmm Could some of the Lead Balls Be Case Shot?

Your Welcome...........Stoogeco .. How much Did you pay.?

OP
OP
S

stoogeco

Apr 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help. I think I paid about $100 for the collection. Am I in the ballpark?

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The answer to your question "Did I pay too much?" depends on where you live... and what sort of marketplace you're shopping at. (Civil war relic show, civil war relic shop, antique shop, flea market, Ebay, etc.) Here in Virginia, at civl war relic shows .69-caliber musketballs are so common you can buy them for $1 each. At civil war relic shows in Georgia, they are priced at $1.50 to $2. At flea markets, civil war relic shops, and antique shops, $2 to $3 -- or higher. Occasionally you'll see "quantity" lots (let's say, a bag of 50 or 100) musketballs for $1-to-$2 apiece -- or somewhat higher.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where you live may be an indication of where the musket balls came from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions