anchor button

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for viewing this thread.
Found this button and several others near the beach a while back. Thought maybe it was WW 2 and posted to the button forum. The photo was low quality so I got no answers. Here is a better photo. The back mark says Schoville MFG CO Waterbury. I'm sure someone will know about this button and give me further information. It is almost as large as a Kennedy half dollar. Best, IMAG0972.jpg

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a US Marine button and is fairly modern, Scovills ceased button making in 1962 so it is at least 54 years old.

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you. Ebay said it was a rare Federal Civil War button 35 $. That just didn't seem correct to me.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alabama11, I suggest you buy a copy of the book "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon. It's available at various civil war relic dealer websites for about $29. In contains very extensive backmark dating info for hunderds of companies. For example, Scovill Manufacturing Company made buttons under that specific company-name from 1850 to 1962. (In the 1840s it was simply "Scovills & Co.") But more importantly, regarding your US Marines button, that book has backmark PHOTOS showing the various "evolutions" of Scovill backmarks, to enable diggers/collectors to distinguish pre-civil-war, civil war, post-civil-war, and 20th-Century Scovill backmarks.

All that being said... you reported the button's size to be "almost as large as a Kennedy half." No US Marines buttons were that large at the time of the civil war. You've got the 28.5mm size of US Marines button, which did not exist until the 20th Century.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for viewing this thread.
Found this button and several others near the beach a while back. Thought maybe it was WW 2 and posted to the button forum. The photo was low quality so I got no answers. Here is a better photo. The back mark says Schoville MFG CO Waterbury. I'm sure someone will know about this button and give me further information. It is almost as large as a Kennedy half dollar. Best, View attachment 1308928

Ahhhh
A much better picture than the one I saw before.

Great info fyrffytr1 & TCBG Gave You , I need to get that book TCBG Mentioned , I only have Alber's book & tho it's a good one it's kinda dated , I rarely use it cause I never find many CW or before era buttons.

I do find more later Military buttons ; so seeing a picture of a back-mark especially one from the 1900's would be nice .

These WW1 & WW2 buttons are only getting older .

It look's to me that Marine buttons differ from Navy buttons in that the Eagle is holding the Anchor in it's Mouth & Talons while Navy Buttons The Anchor is held by the Talons only.

No matter the age that button is a Keeper .
Now go dig 2 Alabama CW buttons ,2 so you can sell me the more worn of the 2. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread