Clay Dice from North Texas battle site??

Arsenal

Jul 13, 2016
Austin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First post and I hope this is in the correct forum. I THINK I found a piece of baked clay dice hiking right after a massive storm at Village Creek, Texas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Village_Creek

I know that the dice used by Indians were completely different so I assumed this was something the massed US soldiers used?? It was buried deep in moist sand and just has a pecked edge showing. I pulled it out and knew it was heavily worked but throw it in my pack. It was not until I got home that I realized what I had found.

It has the numbered holes in the correct place and you could see where it was either broken while making or from wear and tear. Any thoughts, help, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Dice.jpg

Dice 5.jpg

Dice 4.jpg

Dice 2.jpg

Upvote 0

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really cool!! Awesome find [emoji106]

HH RN

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a pretty cool piece.Soldiers did make these in camp so it is quite possible this was from the era. What else did you find here? Btw welcome to TNet

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Most likely soldier/settlers, but anything is possible. A great find. see:(Handbook of Texas Online, Battle of Village Creek) Just type that in at the top and read away...

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEET_OO

First post and I hope this is in the correct forum. I THINK I found a piece of baked clay dice hiking right after a massive storm at Village Creek, Texas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Village_Creek

I know that the dice used by Indians were completely different so I assumed this was something the massed US soldiers used?? It was buried deep in moist sand and just has a pecked edge showing. I pulled it out and knew it was heavily worked but throw it in my pack. It was not until I got home that I realized what I had found.

It has the numbered holes in the correct place and you could see where it was either broken while making or from wear and tear. Any thoughts, help, etc would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 1336159

View attachment 1336160

View attachment 1336161

View attachment 1336162

Man that's a Cool as Heck Find & I would love to add a piece like that to my collection.:hello2:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope that you come back and share more of your adventures. Remember the Native population took to dice as well as settlers. Very historic item. Be interesting to survey the area for flint or hit it with a metal detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread