jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I don't know where they are Talking .
I don't know if this is a Protected area.
yes most likely is, but I really don't know.

The National tribune. (Washington, D.C.), 01 Dec. 1887.

1.jpg

The National tribune. (Washington, D.C.) 1877-1917, December 01, 1887, Page 3, Image 3 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Upvote 0

1afox

Jun 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between Appomattox and Lynchburg. The Richmond Howitzers buried their cannon in a ravine.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Pretty much all I found. Maybe online searches can provide ore.

The Army of Northern Virginia, including the Howitzers, evacuated its lines in front of Richmond and Petersburg on the night of April 2, 1865, and marched westward. The men of the 2nd Company resumed their duties as infantrymen and fought the enemy in several skirmishes. The 3rd Company saw only minor skirmishing near Deatonsville on April 6 during the Appomattox Campaign. After participating in an engagement near Appomattox Court House on April 8, the men of the 1st Company separated from the army to march toward Lynchburg. They disbanded the following day near Red Oak Church and buried their cannons in a nearby ravine. The 2nd and 3rd companies, meanwhile, surrendered with Lee's army at Appomattox on April 9, 1865.

1afox

Jun 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could not find the church on civil war maps but there is one on the modern maps not far from Appomattox. The area looks populated on the modern map. Would like to be able to find the church on an old map.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reads like they recovered a-lot of Hardware , Ill bet there is a-lot of smaller stuff left.
Likely in a Developed area.???

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
It will probably take a visit to that area, church , & county library to come up with more info. Even then, it has been 150 years since that happened.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread