44 caliber bullet need ID.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all,
Thank you for viewing this thread. If anyone can ID this bullet then please help. best,
IMAG1273.jpg IMAG1274.jpg . Found near battle of Decatur. IMAG1287 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you it is post civil war. The reeded grooves first appeared in the early 1870s. If I may, I would like to offer some advice. If you want a correct identification of any bullet you find you need to provide precise measurements to include diameter, length and weight in grains. A pair of digital calipers can be had for around twenty dollars at most auto parts stores. A digital scale can be had for as little as thirteen dollars. You may find it at a local sporting goods store. I got mine from Frankford Arsenal for around thirty five dollars. They also sell digital calipers. These two tools are a valuable addition to any relic hunters collection.

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to both of you. I had not noticed the reed pattern until the blown up photo was online. My bad. The length is one inch. My calipers are missing in action.��

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might have been an older 45-70 round. imageRUO.JPG

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like they came in rim fire cartridges. Great research by you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread