Bite the bullet myth or fact? Anyone found any?

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have heard that it is a myth. Here is an article on the subject

http://civilwarscholars.com/2011/10/myth-no-2-biting-on-the-bullet-for-pain-george-wunderlich/

I have found 2 bullets and they look like they have bite marks to me in fact they are both flat. Both bullets were found at an Union field hospital in the early 1990s Petersburg, VA

I gave one bullet to a freind and kept the other

Anyone else found a bullet that was bitten into? Around a hospital? I know soldiers did some strange things with bullets. I have found bulllets made into poker chips, girlfriends names (Mary) carved into them ,a little dog, fishing sinkers etc

Tom

IMG_1310.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tough one, and can steer up a lot of debate. I have found lots of bullets that were clearly chewed on by animals, but I have one that I'm not so sure about. Pain bullet???? Don't know uploadfromtaptalk1470736392367.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1470736400926.jpg

HH RN

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have some, but one I'm 99% certain was chewed on by a human and found on a battlefield. A lot of people claim pigs or other animals chew on them for something in the lead, but I don't think all would be. I found that on a Civil War battlefield. My best chewed item though, which I'm 100% certain was chewed on by a human, was also found on the same battlefield, very near the Confederate line. It's a button back that's been chewed on and you can see many incisor teeth marks all over it and it was bent by the chewing, that one makes me wonder if it was used during an amputation. If I had a photo of it right off I would post that one. If relics could only talk.:)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fiction for the most part. Imagine bad teeth to begin with and then biting a bullet! haha I have many that hit chert and looked chewed and have heard of animals chewing them. I think its a myth though. I do have a CW bullet in wood though!
They bit many sticks I am sure and leather. I have never read a diary account or anywhere they actually spoke of chewing bullets.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read too that soldiers would suck on lead roundballs when they were up at night on watch, that the lead had a sweet flavor that may have been like sucking on a life saver candy. I suppose if this were the case a soldier may have began to chew on it somewhat as it grew softer...maybe? There is still much controversy over the soldier vs. the wild pig...but I suppose both may be correct. Morphine may not always have been available, although a leather belt would have been more of my liking. Anyways, here is my chewed ball, and yes I think it was human.

DSC09563.JPG

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have found several bullets and led bits that have been chewed by both rodents and humans. I really do not believe that they where used in the "Bite the bullet" sort of way for the pain of amputation and other medical reasons. But they are clearly chewed for a reason. Could be as simple as to create saliva or curb hunger pains by chewing on something. Who knows? But I do know it happened.

JimK

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I have heard lead has a Sweet Taste ,Hence Kids Eat Lead Paint Chips.

Like most devoted relic hunters I have a few Maybes ???

Guess we need a Forensic Dentist or 2 to check out our bullets.

I do wonder where the phrase "Bite the Bullet " comes from.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a round ball from a Second Seminole War fort that has clear molar bite marks on both sides. I know that it would be easier to bite a piece of wood or leather strap in that situation (amputation/surgery), and during the Civil War they had ether for pain in a lot of instances.

That phrase came from somewhere...

There are a lot of people claiming that the term "deadline" had nothing to do with Civil War prisons...that it was a myth that a dead line existed, but there are plenty of period accounts of them from prison camp survivors. One of my ancestors survived Camp Douglas.

Bamadad53

Oct 24, 2016
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to a group I use to hunt with back in the 1970's it was common for CW soldiers who were short of water to suck on and chew minie balls to work up some saliva. Don't know how true it was but there were several in the group who swore by it. I have a couple that were chewed on.

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got quite a few chewed bullets. Not all are from humans I'm sure but I know from the spots I've dug some of them at that humans bit the bullet.

Attachments

• 14807161964000.jpg
    14807161964000.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting. Never considered the origin of the phrase.

Anyone considered the ballistics of a bitten bullet? First thing that comes to my mind.

Altering the surface of the bullet would, given enough distance for it's weight and velocity, cause the round to tumble prior to striking an object and cause maximum damage. Uglier entry wound, even uglier exit wound. :dontknow:

I do know that in WW1 they would have snipers perched behind iron plates atop the trenches. Bullets would just bounce off of the plates. Eventually some clever soldier figured out if you load the bullet into the case backwards. then striking the iron plate would cause hot iron shrapnel to shower into the face of anyone standing nearby. That supposedly ended the effectiveness of those snipers real quick.

Soldiers are mostly practical people. I'm sure there was a practical reason. :dontknow:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fact.

Get your leg or arm cut off... or some other horrible medical task done without much more than a few swigs from a bottle and you will bite down on whatever you can as well.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is go to your cabinet and get out a 58 caliber bullet and chew on it for a little while or take a large sinker and chew on it and see what kinda tooth marks you can make and post a picture. Should be easy to replicate. As a kid we always bit our split shot onto our fishing line.:tongue3:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
makes me wonder
was chewing gum around back then?

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All I can say is go to your cabinet and get out a 58 caliber bullet and chew on it for a little while or take a large sinker and chew on it and see what kinda tooth marks you can make and post a picture. Should be easy to replicate. As a kid we always bit our split shot onto our fishing line.:tongue3:

yes, and it did leave teeth marks. i remember those split shots well.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. imagine having a limb amputated and a Minie in your mouth. Scream from the pain and where does the lead go? Gasp for air or pass out and where does the lead go? Right down your throat! So, if the surgery doesn't kill you, choking on a piece of lead will.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread