Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CONFEDERATE BOYLE & GAMBLE SABER-BAYONET

Goes on either 1841 " Mississippi" & "Fayetteville" rifles

I want to start out, this is NOT an item I dug. I am curious if this may have been a dug item. I just never seen a bayonet in this bad of shape unless it is dug.

This Saber/bayonet was brought back from the civil war by great-grand father . What was nice I have a member of the family that actually receive this from the Vet herself. She was told by him that this was his saber and he was giving it to her. The thing that bothers me about this story. is the condition of the bayonet. And the biggest thing I have an issue with is he was captured after the battle at Burgess Mill, VA and taken to Point Lookout, MD he was not released until after the war was over.

I did get to ask her how he could have brought it back if he was captured. I did not get a nice reply back lol . I can say he did have 5 other brothers that served in the civil war & maybe one of them could have brought it back.

What do you think could this have been dug bayonet? Is this the pitting what you would expect?

Note: Parents brought this back from St Loius, MO The bayonet was in a leather scabbard but the leather was so bad my parents left it there. It was so nice to be able to talk with her about the stories she heard from someone that served in the civil war. She was something else, 90 years old and still drinking beer. Not to go into this subject but the family went off to fight for states right not slavery. Just wanted to be left alone and no input from the Federal government .

IMG_1345.JPG IMG_1346.JPG IMG_1347.JPG IMG_1348.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
It's possible if he was captured he cached it somewhere before the Yanks took it & went back for it a couple of years later. That might explain the condition.

OP
OP
T

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you are correct in the fact that he did travel back to the area way after the war was over and never missed a csa reunion ..was told he visited other sites where he lost brothers and close friends

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread