Question: Anyone got some good advice on digging in Civil War trenches?

Appalachianman76

Aug 22, 2016
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been metal detecting a Civil War battle site and camp (with permission on private property). The battle was only on one day early in the war, then the rest of the war it was used as a camp/fortified hill. Got some good trenches and dugouts on it and I've found some nice artifacts. However, I know the trenches and dugouts have filled in over time and there are artifacts that my detector is not going to reach. I've got my old screens from where I used to dig cliffs and caves for Indian artifacts. Any advice or expertise those of you who have dug and sifted trenches before can pass along? How deep where trenches usually dug by soldiers? Any particular area of a trench (bottom, outside front, etc.) that's the best place to look? Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 6 lb Cannonball in a trench that has been hunted hard for years. My buddy also found a 1854 three cent pc in the same trench. We have never used a sifter but it should do well. My Cannonball was 18" deep and I was digging every single I would get, nomatter how bad. I would say that the trench was probably three to four foot deep when dug. But if you factor in the mud and foot traffic, relics could possibly be five or six feet deep. Just my opinion. Good luck and let us know.

HH RN

OP
OP
Appalachianman76

Appalachianman76

Aug 22, 2016
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 6 lb Cannonball in a trench that has been hunted hard for years. My buddy also found a 1854 three cent pc in the same trench. We have never used a sifter but it should do well. My Cannonball was 18" deep and I was digging every single I would get, nomatter how bad. I would say that the trench was probably three to four foot deep when dug. But if you factor in the mud and foot traffic, relics could possibly be five or six feet deep. Just my opinion. Good luck and let us know.

HH RN

Thanks for the advice. The "old timers" loved to throw their old tin can trash and rolls of woven wire and barbwire fence into these trenches. While this has made detecting extremely hard, it has protected large parts of the trenches from previous relic hunters. I just got to get below all the trash! I'll let you know!

ucvrelics.com

Nov 3, 2014
Birmingham Al
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD
Nautilus DMC 2b 15 inch head
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back in the old days digging the trench's at Blakley we would find stuff at over 4 feet but the soil was very sandy and they were in the trench's for over 20 days. As we would dig down we would go thru layer of dirt and the charcoal then dirt etc what I figured was they were burning fires in the trench and then put dirt on top and then over the years with erosion filling them in stuff got VERY deep. Long story short make sure you wide enough and when you hit the original bottom you'll know it. Good Luck and keep updated on what you find.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GL & IMO A Sifter Or any other tool that will help will come in handy.
Let us know what pop's out.

I also suppose you could get / Rent a TDI machine GPX Preferably, but you would still dig all Iron Junk , but it may help get you on some deep places u did not know about.

Have Fun & be Careful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions