Good way to preserve dug pocket Knife's

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to call it a 'Delemia ' but could not spell it.:laughing7

Has anyone found a Good way to preserve dug pocket Knife's ; at least the Iron & wood ones ?

I dug another Good one IMO , it was found right in the area & same depth as CW bullets , & a Spencer Round.
It was in a moist area , so it's pretty 'Chunky' but being 95% sure it was Dropped by a Union Soldier
I'd love to preserve it.

Anybody ever try to 'Cook' them , only the small brass 'Makers Crest'? would discolor.

If y'all CW Hunters Got a Good Technique id love to know.

I posted this ? in C & Pres before & never got a satisfactory answer.
But
I will check again.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first thing I would do is submerse it in olive oil for a week, then go after it with a toothpick and soft tooth brush. :coffee2:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my first one yesterday at a 1940's old military site. IMG_2323.JPG I ordered this yesterday IMG_2331.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing I would do is submerse it in olive oil for a week, then go after it with a toothpick and soft tooth brush. :coffee2:

Woooo, Sounds like fun. :laughing7:

This one is 95% Iron so IDK if Olive Oil will help, Anything is worth a try.

At-least I know it will stop the rusting process.

Most Pocket Knifes I see in (bought) collections , & in other collections are just falling apart.

I guess almost every Soldier Carried one , so they are not that rare, but it's cool to have & preserve something that was carried by a certain Man.

Ill def, try that O Oil on one of my PK's but not likely on this one.
Thanks Terry.

P.S. Oh let me ask first , have you had any success using this technique.? i.e. O Oil helping to de-rust a piece?

Thanks again
Davers

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. I've also used Apple Cider Vinegar soaks, which might work for you as well.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first one yesterday at a 1940's old military site. View attachment 1442189 I ordered this yesterday View attachment 1442190

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply Truth.

I have heard good things about that product. I just never tried it.

I need to grab some someday & give it a try.

You got a nice knife there.

It looks new compared to the one I just found.

Let me/us know how it cleans up.
Thanks Man.
Davers

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rust is a chemical reactive process, once started it cannot be reversed and the only way to inhibit further deterioration is to deprive it of oxygen and/or moisture.
[Inhibiting coatings are available that will turn the existing rust into a protective coating, not really a viable option for a knife].
Best you can really do is keep it in a controlled environment [glass tube?] with silica gel packs to soak up any moisture. Any grease/oil coating you give it will only offer temporary protection and do nothing about the rust already formed.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rust is a chemical reactive process, once started it cannot be reversed and the only way to inhibit further deterioration is to deprive it of oxygen and/or moisture.
[Inhibiting coatings are available that will turn the existing rust into a protective coating, not really a viable option for a knife].
Best you can really do is keep it in a controlled environment [glass tube?] with silica gel packs to soak up any moisture. Any grease/oil coating you give it will only offer temporary protection and do nothing about the rust already formed.

Yea .
Kinda what my common sense is / has been telling me ' Once rust gets down inside a closed knife' it's a cancer.

I suppose ill do the best I can with such pieces & Display it with the other relics from that site or just have a Pocket Knife display & Keep-em dry as possible.
Davers

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Davers, Congrat's to you on the find of the pocket knife. Are you familiar with the product, Gemplers?

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers, Congrat's to you on the find of the pocket knife. Are you familiar with the product, Gemplers?

No .
I don't think I have ever heard of 'Gemplers' .

Would it help ?
Thanks for yr Reply.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go very slow and introduction of a new chemical is going to be for either rust or the handle not both. If you just wish to stop the rust then air seal it was a spray flat polyeurathane. Sometimes you just have to save what is there. Acv will eat rust but can delaminate thin steel and ruin the handle. I use it on larger iron like grape shot. Electoalysis will clean the metal but then again your are submersing the handle.
Please bump the thread back up with updated photos and pm me so I can see as I am always studying preservation Davers. We need to hunt sometime if you want.
Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go very slow and introduction of a new chemical is going to be for either rust or the handle not both. If you just wish to stop the rust then air seal it was a spray flat polyeurathane. Sometimes you just have to save what is there. Acv will eat rust but can delaminate thin steel and ruin the handle. I use it on larger iron like grape shot. Electoalysis will clean the metal but then again your are submersing the handle.
Please bump the thread back up with updated photos and pm me so I can see as I am always studying preservation Davers. We need to hunt sometime if you want.
Good luck.

Thank's for the Reply TM's .

I have used ACV on a few pieces & I really hate the texture of the Iron (that black crusty rough feeling) .
Would much rather Cook my Iron.

I have done nothing with the knife yet , except it's drying in it's location marked bag.

I have a handful more , but this one is the most encrusted I have found.

I need to fire up my electrolysis 4 gallon bucket , & make some smaller ones out of the gallon dry wall mud buckets I got ; heck I have everything I need to make another big set up & everything to make 2 smaller ones.

Being a OCD plagued 'Perfectionist' slows me down, I got a nice Iron But-plate & '1' Barrel Band I need to Cook.

I'm notorious about posting pictures , I need my wife to help & we usually end up arguing , lol.

I got my eye on a Fishing Kayak, but have no waterproof detector's . I can make them safe for a trip in a Boat but NO water use.

I would love to hunt with you sometime , if I find 1 minnie ,fired or dropped it would be worth it.

I plan on hunting in Summerville this month , u goin to that?

I'd love to take a overnight trip North sometime even if I found Nothing.

Sorry my mind is faster than my fingers.

Also will let you know if I start work on the Knife , with pic's of course.
GD Man.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gemplers

No .I don't think I have ever heard of 'Gemplers' .Would it help ? Thanks for yr Reply.
Davers, if you send me your email address, I'll try to shoot you some pic's of some of my relics treated with the product Gemplers.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I just seen this.
Will Do & Thanks.

Peeweeherman

Jul 23, 2020
Murphy nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's my knife worth ?

I found a couple of old knife s in at a yard sale and was wanting to see if anyone can tell if I did good ...please

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site peewee! If you don't post photos how could we possibly know what you have? Gotta post photos, I have sixty+years experience with old knives, would like to help but impossible without photos of whole knife and a good photo of the maker's marks on the main blade. Also, you are replying to a three year old thread, you should post a new thread in the "what is it" subforum with photos please.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a couple of old knife s in at a yard sale and was wanting to see if anyone can tell if I did good ...please
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Peeweeherman! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - You might consider posting your knife (with pictures) on WHAT'S IT WORTH? for more exposure...

photo_camera.gif
3rd - A picture(s) is worth a zillion words! If you are having problems posting pictures - take a look at: How to post pictures with your story...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread