Target under huge rock..

Blkcloud

Apr 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been digging bullets at this spot for a while.. today I got a good signal with my etrac ,a strong 17-40 fe co .. I dug down about 3 inches and hit a rock about the size and shape of a big watermelon .. the target is dead center of the rock.. I tried for about 15 minutes to get the rock up but it won't budge.. I can't imagine how anything got under it.. what is 17-40 on a chart? Couldn't find it on the ones I looked up.. going back with a grubbing hoe and trenching shovel next time..

Upvote 0

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might not be able to pull or jack the rock out, but did you check underneath by digging in from the side? If you have an old school probe, probe around the edges for softer spots. RULE #2 If all else fails CHEAT!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if you can not dig it up, then dig a deep hole off one side of it and shift that rock into that hole.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopes it's not a hotrock.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do according to Oddjob, if no target after moving the rock, it confirms you have a hotrock or a rock with some metal in it.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would do according to Oddjob, if no target after moving the rock, it confirms you have a hotrock or a rock with some metal in it.

I had a similar situation in Germany out in the forest. Got a target under a large flat stone, only about 12X20 inches and maybe at best 2 inches thick. Moved it to the side and found a small cast iron pot about 6 inches wide with a lid under it, it had a couple watches, some chains, 6 rings and bag of coins in it.

Since then when it happens I will always check, but since then, every single time it has been a hotrock. But that one experience just has me convinced that every rock in Germany has a treasure under it, even though after all my years hunting I have never had that happen before and it has always been a hot rock, I still check.

When I go out in an area that I have had experience with lots of heavy stones, like in Switzerland when I nugget shoot I pack an 18 wheeler tire tube in my bike trailer with a few CO2 cylinders. Works great to just move something out of the way, or even get enough momentum to assist you in getting it out of the way.

For me it is well worth a single gram or even a half gram. Biggest ever I have gotten in Switzerland is just over 2 grams, I felt like a king. But the most total in a single day I have gotten has been 44 grams, the average for me is about 30 grams though. My wife though is a God with the GPZ and beats me every time.

It all adds up and never hurts to move that rock.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopes it's not a hotrock.
Funny hot rock story. When I first started detecting, I had a tuber BFO machine and being young n dumb I hit a patch of hot rocks and proceeded to fill the back of the pickup with them thinking I'd hit the mother load! I come skidding into Grandpas ranch in a cloud of dust to show off my finds. One of grandpas friends walks over picks one up takes one look, throws it back and very matter of factley asks "You know what these are?" nope "They're leaverites. When you see one you leaverite where you found it!" If anyone wants a half load of leaverites, they're still there at the side of the driveway. After all these years I'm still trying to figure out if grandpa left them there as a lesson or as a rub.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar situation in Germany out in the forest. Got a target under a large flat stone, only about 12X20 inches and maybe at best 2 inches thick. Moved it to the side and found a small cast iron pot about 6 inches wide with a lid under it, it had a couple watches, some chains, 6 rings and bag of coins in it.

Since then when it happens I will always check, but since then, every single time it has been a hotrock. But that one experience just has me convinced that every rock in Germany has a treasure under it, even though after all my years hunting I have never had that happen before and it has always been a hot rock, I still check.

When I go out in an area that I have had experience with lots of heavy stones, like in Switzerland when I nugget shoot I pack an 18 wheeler tire tube in my bike trailer with a few CO2 cylinders. Works great to just move something out of the way, or even get enough momentum to assist you in getting it out of the way.

For me it is well worth a single gram or even a half gram. Biggest ever I have gotten in Switzerland is just over 2 grams, I felt like a king. But the most total in a single day I have gotten has been 44 grams, the average for me is about 30 grams though. My wife though is a God with the GPZ and beats me every time.

Have you seen those inflators I think it's called Air Dragon? They've been advertising them a lot around here. Looks like a cordless drill with a hose instead of a bit. My buddy is going to order one so I'll wait & see if it's as advertised. might be real useful.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you seen those inflators I think it's called Air Dragon? They've been advertising them a lot around here. Looks like a cordless drill with a hose instead of a bit. My buddy is going to order one so I'll wait & see if it's as advertised. might be real useful.

I had one about 12 years ago. I like the CO2 guns for cycling my self, they are very small and light weight, and normally when I head into the bush it is per fatbike or four wheeler, either with a trailer. Plenty enough weight already just in that.

Comes to a tube like this or even a wheel barrel tube (good to have two sizes and lots of patches) you are not ever going to air the entire thing up, basically just going to fold it over and over until it fits snug in the area you want it for, then air it up, and even then your not even going to put in but a little air to get the job done. and depending on if your trying to only slide the rock or get some lift on it depends on which way you place your last fold,

When I do it I normally have my fold facing up so it only slides it over enough, just in case there is a little half gram stuck under it I do not want to loose it, a half gram pays for 30 cartridges of CO2.

Also good to have a valve wrench so you can pack it away faster too.

In regards to your hot rocks, at least you did not get as far as crushing them.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yr def, a Smart Guy thinking ahead, yr a good Survivalist as well ill bet , Cause u think the right 'problem Solving ' way.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one about 12 years ago. I like the CO2 guns for cycling my self, they are very small and light weight, and normally when I head into the bush it is per fatbike or four wheeler, either with a trailer. Plenty enough weight already just in that.

Comes to a tube like this or even a wheel barrel tube (good to have two sizes and lots of patches) you are not ever going to air the entire thing up, basically just going to fold it over and over until it fits snug in the area you want it for, then air it up, and even then your not even going to put in but a little air to get the job done. and depending on if your trying to only slide the rock or get some lift on it depends on which way you place your last fold,

When I do it I normally have my fold facing up so it only slides it over enough, just in case there is a little half gram stuck under it I do not want to loose it, a half gram pays for 30 cartridges of CO2.

Also good to have a valve wrench so you can pack it away faster too.

In regards to your hot rocks, at least you did not get as far as crushing them.
Yeah buddy :laughing7: I was hoping no one was gonna bring that up! Crushed two with a claw hammer before the ole boy caught up with me....... These are $59 and are rechargeable. My only concern is whether you're gonna need 20 minutes and a whole battery pack to air up a bike tire. And whether the compressor part will have a tendency to get real hot like the 12v ones. I'll up date when my buddys comes.

Doesn't everyone carry a valve stem remover in their cars?:icon_scratch: Works when you want to leave a message to the putz that parks 2" off your car door! Remove 3 valve stems and take em with you. Message sent! :laughing7:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm.

Perhaps your rock is a meteor.

IF that's the case... PAYDAY ! ... BIGTIME.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dynamite.gif
I'm sorry - this is the first thing I thought about when I started reading your thread! :laughing7:

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well if you don't work on it further it will end up being one of those signals that will haunt you the rest of your life.

I have accumulated 2 haunts and will not add to that burden so I dig everything out.

Post results for all those kind enough to respond please.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Many years ago when I purchased mine it was just over 300 bucks; best part is the ones these days that are around 60 bucks are much better now.

But you still do not get an air blast out of it; this is fine if your want to move something slowing or push out a dent in the bed of your truck; but sometimes you need to move it a little faster or really jolt it with an air blast.

I know what you mean with the over heating too, the older really expensive ones where great for this, the newer cheaper ones I played with in the hardware store did not over heat and the battery last much longer. CO2 air guns just last longer, they are lighter, take up less space and you can air slowly or blast it right out if you need to.

If your doing like I am and taking 20 or 30 CO2 cartridges into the bush, then the weight advantage is gone because you bring that in and out.

Buddy of mine had a small 3 inch HVAC stainless pipe closed off at about 24 inches long for a compression tank. His hose, tank and bike hand pump to refill came in lighter than what I carry, but he can really blast air out fast that way if needed. His sits right on the back of his Surly Bill Trailer out of the way from everything else, other than packing good and portable in any way he gets a long time out of it or lots of presure.

He once use two tubes a few times just south east of Cabbio. A storm had blown through pretty hard, lost of rain, lots of new wash outs, tons of wind. It was just a bad weekend. A couple weeks of good hot weather went by and I met up with him down there. We had a spot that we had been killing with the GPZ back when they where fairly new on the market, machines had already paid for them selves in that are with about 40 hours of swinging but we still where not done.

He gets to a few good size stones by a tree that has partially blown over, just enough to get a coil under the root flat. He gets about 18 grams total around these stones, then gets them out of there all together and finds another 11 grams, then like a smart ass I tell him to check that root flat. He said why not, works in the water, why wouldn’t it work on a mountain side. Uses his tube and mine to get that leaning tree more leaned over down the hill. He ended up getting that tree leaned over for about another 8 inches of clearance under that root flat after he pulled the tubes. More than enough space to clean out under that, he got another 7 grams under that root flat. Time he spent doing that was just under two hours, which is pretty darn good for Euro picking; the GPZ already makes it like cheating and worth actually doing in Europe, but that day was a great day for him and by the time sun down came I had 36 grams and he had 70 grams.

Yeah buddy :laughing7: I was hoping no one was gonna bring that up! Crushed two with a claw hammer before the ole boy caught up with me....... These are $59 and are rechargeable. My only concern is whether you're gonna need 20 minutes and a whole battery pack to air up a bike tire. And whether the compressor part will have a tendency to get real hot like the 12v ones. I'll up date when my buddys comes.

Doesn't everyone carry a valve stem remover in their cars?:icon_scratch: Works when you want to leave a message to the putz that parks 2" off your car door! Remove 3 valve stems and take em with you. Message sent! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Blkcloud

Blkcloud

Apr 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back with a pick ax .. the more I dug the bigger the rock got.. it has gone from watermelon sized to two watermelons sized... and now it's gone from a strong signal to a iffy signal... at one point it didn't even register until I hit the pinpoint button.... I'm second guessing myself on whether to keep on or not...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our Civil War picket post is loaded with hot rocks. Almost all are Pennsylvania coal, but there are a few that have magnetite in them. Should be gold too, as it is right in the gold belt, but I have crushed some and have nothing so far.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back with a pick ax .. the more I dug the bigger the rock got.. it has gone from watermelon sized to two watermelons sized... and now it's gone from a strong signal to a iffy signal... at one point it didn't even register until I hit the pinpoint button.... I'm second guessing myself on whether to keep on or not...

No one who ever found anything worth its weight in salt... quit.

Go back... make sure the rock is not covering something of value.

It is a long shot and probably nothing... BUT... it will haunt you if you don't.

MTC anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread