Civil War Bullet?

Barasingha

Greenie
Nov 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if I found my first civil war bullet? I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks in advance. IMG_1258.JPG IMG_1259.JPG IMG_1260.JPG IMG_1261.JPG

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not looked wormed or pulled. The nose is not real conical almost looks like a confederate enfield that had a deep cavity. I say this as I do not see the rings. A lot of condereate cast bullets were not well done and had hollow spots in the casting that would make it peel back like that. Davers asked a good question about the site if it had known occupancy.
On a side note I have dug modern bullets that have the right patina and many early say like 45 caliber hand guns were lead as well. figure the colt 1911 is well over 100 years old now.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Call TM

I just wish the OP could respond.

OP
OP
B

Barasingha

Greenie
Nov 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the delayed response. I don't have any way to weigh the bullet. Without an a map I would be guessing but believe this private land would be only 1/4 to 1/2 mile from a marked CW battlefield.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
likely a fired hit sumpin cw era type bullet

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the delayed response. I don't have any way to weigh the bullet. Without an a map I would be guessing but believe this private land would be only 1/4 to 1/2 mile from a marked CW battlefield.

Well being that close to a known Battle Site , IMO Your odds are better .

Also the more I look at it , the "Deep Cavity " Enifeld as purposed by TnMountains , look's. to be more likely.

I have dug many fired CW bullets & the way Lead deforms never ceases to amaze me.8-)

Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Reading through older posts. I agree, it appears to be a fired .577-caliber Confederate-made Enfield Minie-bullet, with some impressive impact damage. The thin wide-flared skirt is the result of a cone-cavity Minie striking the earth backwards, which causes the thin rim to flare outward, and in this case still showing a bit of the cone cavity in the center of the flared base.

Long ago, as a relic dealer buying and selling thousands of unfired and fired civil war bullets, I collected fired Minie-bullets with "interesting" impact-damage. As a general category, I called them "interesting impact" bullets. I called this sub-category "Hillbilly Hat" or "Sombrero" fired Minies, because that's what they resemble when viewed from the side.

Attachments

• bullet_interesting-impact_fired_sombrero_ARH_Jbow_pic74888.jpg
    bullet_interesting-impact_fired_sombrero_ARH_Jbow_pic74888.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading through older posts. I agree, it appears to be a fired .577-caliber Confederate-made Enfield Minie-bullet, with some impressive impact damage. The thin wide-flared skirt is the result of a cone-cavity Minie striking the earth backwards, which causes the thin rim to flare outward, and in this case still showing a bit of the cone cavity in the center of the flared base.

Long ago, as a relic dealer buying and selling thousands of unfired and fired civil war bullets, I collected fired Minie-bullets with "interesting" impact-damage. As a general category, I called them "interesting impact" bullets. I called this sub-category "Hillbilly Hat" or "Sombrero" fired Minies, because that's what they resemble when viewed from the side.

Love the 'Category' & sub category. nearly half the CW bullets I have dug have been fired.

IMO "Fired" Bullets don't get the respect they deserve , Like the Late Rodney Dangerfield .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions