Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought this belt buckle because I like it and I'm wondering if anybody with more expertise could tell me if it's authentic. Either way I love it. upload1495143089.324378.jpg upload1495143109.168018.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry for the bad news, but hey it's still a wonderful display piece to have.:) I hope you didn't pay a great deal of money for it though. There's more reproductions and fakes out there by far than genuine examples. There's a ton of fake plates on ebay now (probably 99% on there) that some sellers claim are genuine and sadly they dupe many people into paying big bucks for them.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for the bad news, but hey it's still a wonderful display piece to have.:) I hope you didn't pay a great deal of money for it though. There's more reproductions and fakes out there by far than genuine examples. There's a ton of fake plates on ebay now (probably 99% on there) that some sellers claim are genuine and sadly they dupe many people into paying big bucks for them.

I paid $147. Uggggh
Hey since we're on the subject would you like to take a look at the box plate I bought? II might as well know everything.

Last edited:

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well $147 is still not as bad as it could have been. Sure post the box plate also, front and back as well if you don't mind.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well $147 is still not as bad as it could have been. Sure post the box plate also, front and back as well if you don't mind.

The guy who sold me the Louisiana silver war belt buckle said that he didn't know and I can return it and he'll refund me my money. He had all great reviews.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
those that don't know better are happy --those that do he refunds the cash --and he says he is not sure --so that's why the good ratings

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
those that don't know better are happy --those that do he refunds the cash --and he says he is not sure --so that's why the good ratings

Yeah you're right he said he has/sells so many that one must of got passed him. Lol

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah you're right he said he has/sells so many that one must of got passed him. Lol

He just sent me this:::New message:

"Well I am truly sorry that you thought you were getting authentic plate I spent $300,000 and 42 years collecting these Rascals I still have 5200 belt buckles that I'm selling on eBay some people have told me they've gotten as much as $18,000 for some of the buckles that I have sold for not very much actually couple of hundred dollars maybe I do have some that was my grandfather's while that is the reason I started to collect when he passed away I got all his collection which many of them have cos from people who've been dead for a long time please do not leave me negative feedback because that will hurt my sales of other things I am thinking about donating these buckles to one of the local museums if you like Virginia's I definitely have some beautiful Virginia's with COA"

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The US boxplate is the real deal so no worries about that. Looks great and really nice to have both eye hooks intact.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's great he'll allow you to return it. I'm not gonna post any ebay user names, but there is one person on there selling many many at a time and they are fakes. He acquires them cast up from someone, from what information I have, then tries to "age" them and pass them off as real or says he just doesn't know. Many plates of totally different types and supposedly dug in totally different areas or states have the same patina (Which is not the most convincing patina anyway.) The best way to get a genuine plate, especially Confederate, is through reputable Civil War relic dealers.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The US boxplate is the real deal so no worries about that. Looks great and really nice to have both eye hooks intact.

Yeah I'm pretty proud of that one I must say. I really appreciate you and thank you so much.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's great he'll allow you to return it. I'm not gonna post any ebay user names, but there is one person on there selling many many at a time and they are fakes. He acquires them cast up from someone, from what information I have, then tries to "age" them and pass them off as real or says he just doesn't know. Many plates of totally different types and supposedly dug in totally different areas or states have the same patina (Which is not the most convincing patina anyway.) The best way to get a genuine plate, especially Confederate, is through reputable Civil War relic dealers.

If you know of any repeatable dealers PM me their sites. Thanks again

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and Google Harry Ridgeway the relic man. I have met Harry and is very reputable and his site has a wealth of info. I do not trust e-bay.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this dealer has some good stuff, some very good stuff, some marginal stuff and some no way stuff. An interesting mix of a collection for sure.

As far as reproductions go, the only "reproduction" item I have is a brand new civil war type cloth haversack I take into the woods detecting with me. Used it today at the beach. Great for dumping a lot of stuff into fast in situations where a speed basket isn't practical.

And before anyone can reach a conclusion by a photo, the plate should be measured and matched or not matched to an existing plate already documented in some of the Civil War reference books. At this late stage in time, it would be highly unlikely a one of a kind plate will surface, but still, it remains possible. I always ask for specific dimensions on plates and up close pictures, especially of the back and the sides if possible. I have only bought a few plates ever, either Union or Confederate or Rev War, and they have come from the major players out there so I have complete confidence in them. They weren't cheap, either. I just hope the market goes back up, it's been soft for almost 10 years now.

Then I get my $500 in text books out and let my fingers do the walking. Also there are a lot of dealers out there who just pass stuff through their sites or Ebay and really don't know what they have. Some of the early reproductions are very hard to tell from the originals, in all fairness.

Fortunately, I don't have to sell what I find.....

Just for fun, as I am not an expert on plates, I dug out my better textbook. This plate was not made as a cast plate at all. It was stamped rolled brass, much thinner with a totally different back.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions