More finds from a union blockhouse location

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The field was hay cut and so I hurried out there found two bullets. Then they plowed it and I hurried back and found more things, but when I returned the next day they had it planted. Some farmers don't sit still. I posted the Memphis & Charleston luggage tag on Todays Finds yesterday. The track is about 400 yards away. My question is what is the brass piece in row 2 on the right end? This makes the third one of those I have found. Anyone seen this before? IMAG2031.jpg Wondering if a small field piece may have had a percussion cap? Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thankyou Tnmountains.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The field was hay cut and so I hurried out there found two bullets. Then they plowed it and I hurried back and found more things, but when I returned the next day they had it planted. Some farmers don't sit still. I posted the Memphis & Charleston luggage tag on Todays Finds yesterday. The track is about 400 yards away. My question is what is the brass piece in row 2 on the right end? This makes the third one of those I have found. Anyone seen this before? View attachment 1453127 Wondering if a small field piece may have had a percussion cap? Thanks for looking.

Love the Baggage Tag & the Heart , are you talking about the piece (2 ed row Baggage tab being 1st row)?

If so I'm thinking Brass Jacket from a Rifle Bullet , they sound so good ..... More weight for the scrap brass bucket .

Now the piece on the bottom right looks to be a Percussion Cap But ???

Ill take underwear buttons to , 3 ringer rocks , as do Small cal O Ball's .
Thx for the pic's.

Looking closer I'm 99% wrong on the far bottom right piece.
Still good stuff.

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with Davers. My best thought is the brass jacket from a modern bullet.
luvdux

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Top row far right is a percussion cap. Just finding any that survived is kinda rare

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It seems so big and thick. The ones i have seen were so small, maybe those were pistol types and the one I found is for a rifle.
The lower right object Davers mentioned was a 44 or 45 bullet. I think its modern.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the one like your and fitted them on a nipple of a period enfield. They are the right size. Modern ones are a size 6.75 mm or just size 11 and enfield is .. ( I can not find the size anywhere). But I am pretty sure that is what it is.They called them 4 hats for the way they split.
I had an old rusted piece of junk in my what is it box and saw it looked like a nipple wrench after seeing another one. Did not even see the hole for the rust. Did a restoration on it and it was an 1842 nipple wrench for the ole smooth bore.
You just never know.

rimg.php.jpeg

Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the Baggage Tag & the Heart , are you talking about the piece (2 ed row Baggage tab being 1st row)?

If so I'm thinking Brass Jacket from a Rifle Bullet , they sound so good ..... More weight for the scrap brass bucket .

Now the piece on the bottom right looks to be a Percussion Cap But ???

Ill take underwear buttons to , 3 ringer rocks , as do Small cal O Ball's .
Thx for the pic's.

Looking closer I'm 99% wrong on the far bottom right piece.
Still good stuff.

You're throwing copper in your brass bucket. :tongue3:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Although Alabama11 says he is asking about the obect at far right "in the second row"... he also indicates he thinks it might be a percussion cap... so it cannot be the thumbtack-like object at the far right in what most of us think is the second row.

I'm 100% sure that the green "flared" object he is asking about is the copper (or brass) jacket off of a 20th-Century jacketed lead bullet. The jacket's front edge peeled back on impact, allowing the heavy lead core to escape deeper into whatever object the jacketed bullet hit. I've seen several examples over the years, and even dug one myself. The actual identity of mine was obvious because it was too big to be a percussion cap. The main clue to the actual ID of Alabama11's find is that it is too long-bodied to be a percussion cap.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're throwing copper in your brass bucket. :tongue3:

I always heard , "Brass Jacket". + they 'scrape' the color Brass.
I do believe some are copper???

Heck at my recycle-ing place , Zinc , Pewter , Cast Aluminum , Sheet Aluminum all pay the same price 40-45 cent a Lb (at this date, July 3 , 2017).

I can take the small loss , if they are copper. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread