Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personal CW relics are by far my favorite finds. They are one of a kind and really link us to the soldiers. I've been fortunate enough to find a few too include a brass gold plated wedding ring but my favorite so far is this piece of carved lead that I found at a Union camp. Not sure if it's his nickname or initials but it clearly took some time to make. The letters are raised and you can clearly see the knife marks. My dream find would be a identification tag. Post them up and let's see what you got. IMG_20141209_153855454.jpg

HH, RN

Upvote 0

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are awesome. I wish I was around a Civil War sight. If you know of one in N.O. PM me please!! Lol Once again beautiful finds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Wish I knew, I'd come help you dig them.

HH, RN

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_0421.JPG IMG_0422.JPG

I did buy this upload1496013515.604970.jpg
And this beauty so I didn't feel left out. upload1496013563.922757.jpg upload1496013601.111488.jpg
Thanks again for the kind gesture my friend

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding! Nothing like history in your hands.

HH, RN

what would you date those three ringers? They don't have the hollow bottom. I did find those in City Park in New Orleans. love Civil War memorabilia I just wish I could find some myself.

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what would you date those three ringers? They don't have the hollow bottom. I did find those in City Park in New Orleans. love Civil War memorabilia I just wish I could find some myself.

I'm not sure. Do they have vertical lines in the grooves? If so then they are 1870 or newer. They look kinda like modern muzzleloader bullets, but I'm no expert.

HH, RN

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personal CW relics are by far my favorite finds. They are one of a kind and really link us to the soldiers. I've been fortunate enough to find a few too include a brass gold plated wedding ring but my favorite so far is this piece of carved lead that I found at a Union camp. Not sure if it's his nickname or initials but it clearly took some time to make. The letters are raised and you can clearly see the knife marks. My dream find would be a identification tag. Post them up and let's see what you got. View attachment 1456099

HH, RN

Dang Relic Nut.
You got me thinking , I read the post & Truth1253's lack of Finds , (I can feel his Civil War relic hunger from here). Then I was just thinking while staring at yr SWEET! Carved pieces, & thinking back , Trough my Years of Detecting ; I kinda drifted away & T-Net logged me off ...I hate that. Usually happens on my long Posts & cause I type slow.

I'm trying to nail down 1 piece but really can but can not, as it's not about $.

Also I want to thank Truth1253 for making me realize just how blessed I have been to dig the CW Items that I have.

Lately I been kinda 'Whining' here & to myself about the Lack of Finds but at-least I find, & like RN stated in another post If I find 1 CW Item in a 10 hour day of hunting it's worth it.

Also for me it's not what but where ,so as of right now my favorite find is a Group of 3 Tin Back Confederate 'I' buttons I found together last Spring/Summer. Cause they came from The Battle of Peachtree Creek. & found right where they were fighting. A lucky find cause this area has been developed since the 1920-40's.

I suc& with pictures but they can be seen here on the Civil War section of the Forum from about this time last year.

There have been many other special Finds (heck I like them all) & hope to make an Album Someday so others can enjoy my digs, The Wife & Son could care less & that really hurts me but it is what it is.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding! Nothing like history in your hands.

HH, RN

You did make some Cool buy's

Nice Box plate with Hooks.

I have to agree that your top pic of bullets are old 'late 1800's'??? early 1900's???

Now the round balls pictured with the bullets are always a Tough call for me .

As they are almost just like the one in your display.

Anyway Everybody else please post even if it's 1 fired Minnie.
Thanks
Davers

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All the silver I found on a battle field is probably my favorite. A soldier threw it down or lost it during the battle. I will post a picture of a few of the coins not all of them. I found 2 half dimes, 7 quarters and 23 dimes with dates ranging from 1836 to 1860. I also found a belt plate and a sword, though it was in several pieces. I also am crazy about carved bullets and I have a Marshall Texas Enfield that was changed from a 10 dollar bullet into a 200 dollar bullet because the soldier carved it into a male appendage. I was offered 200 for it but I have only sold 3 items since I started detecting...d2 011.JPG 013.JPG 020.JPG 008.JPG

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! D2
You found 7 X the pre , 1900 Silver all at once than I have Ever found.

Those CW Dropped , thrown . hidden , Coins are Super Banner finds in my Book. That 1857 was not in circulation long before being lost , imo

Belt Plate....Very nice , I never dug 1 of them either.8-)

Marshall Texas Enfield's are EX-Tra..Nice , Especially carved into a ( P%$%) Well you Know , I saw a Similar Carved piece in one of my Relic Books.

Such pieces , make one wonder..:laughing9:

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a lot of activity here at this end of the country but these came from a recorded yet overlooked campsite along with some other neat pieces.

DSC00958.JPG

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW! D2
You found 7 X the pre , 1900 Silver all at once than I have Ever found.

Those CW Dropped , thrown . hidden , Coins are Super Banner finds in my Book. That 1857 was not in circulation long before being lost , imo

Belt Plate....Very nice , I never dug 1 of them either.8-)

Marshall Texas Enfield's are EX-Tra..Nice , Especially carved into a ( P%$%) Well you Know , I saw a Similar Carved piece in one of my Relic Books.

Such pieces , make one wonder..:laughing9:

I figure he was just missing home and his wife. I have nipple protectors and fishing sinkers made from bullets both pistol and rifle and it if would not be deemed offensive I would post a picture of Richard...d2

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure he was just missing home and his wife. I have nipple protectors and fishing sinkers made from bullets both pistol and rifle and it if would not be deemed offensive I would post a picture of Richard...d2
It amazes me all the things that bullets were used for. I guess because lead was easy to work and readily available.

You once sent me a PM with a picture of Little Richard. I don't find it offensive, but some might. Perhaps a mod could way in. It's just trench art to me.

HH, RN

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have anything as nice as your stuff Relic Nut. And the other personal finds are awesome as well. My best find is a crusty, cracked little piece of metal that I found in the middle of a plowed field here in south Georgia several year ago. At first I thought it was a leaf off a decorative item until I cleaned a little dirt off of it and saw the word "Spiggot" on it. Then, I thought it was a tag from a plumbing piece. But, as I continued to rinse the dirt off I noticed more lettering. Across the top was the word "Clerk" and near the bottom I read "Methuen, Ma". Now my curiosity was up so when I got home I googled the words "Spiggot and Methuen Ma." After some searching I found a link to the Methuen Ma. fire department and learned that the spiggot was the second fire truck there in service from 1847 until 1870. The object is a clerks badge from the Fire Department.
I contacted the fire department historian and between the two of us we came to the conclusion that this badge was carried into the war by Willam Emerson who was captured at Rappahannock Station, Va. on 11/04/1863. He was sent to the Andersonville prison where he died of pleuritis on 04/07/1864 and is buried in the cemetery there. As best as we can figure while he was at the prison he either traded the badge to a guard or it was taken from him before or after his death. The place I found it at is about 25 miles from the prison so in all probability the guard lived there after the war. I have found various Eagle buttons in a field nearby and since there was no action or Union troops in the area I can only guess that they came from the same prison. This badge is about the size of a fifty cent piece.

Attachments

• Badge 2.jpg
    Badge 2.jpg
    905.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have anything as nice as your stuff Relic Nut. And the other personal finds are awesome as well. My best find is a crusty, cracked little piece of metal that I found in the middle of a plowed field here in south Georgia several year ago. At first I thought it was a leaf off a decorative item until I cleaned a little dirt off of it and saw the word "Spiggot" on it. Then, I thought it was a tag from a plumbing piece. But, as I continued to rinse the dirt off I noticed more lettering. Across the top was the word "Clerk" and near the bottom I read "Methuen, Ma". Now my curiosity was up so when I got home I googled the words "Spiggot and Methuen Ma." After some searching I found a link to the Methuen Ma. fire department and learned that the spiggot was the second fire truck there in service from 1847 until 1870. The object is a clerks badge from the Fire Department.
I contacted the fire department historian and between the two of us we came to the conclusion that this badge was carried into the war by Willam Emerson who was captured at Rappahannock Station, Va. on 11/04/1863. He was sent to the Andersonville prison where he died of pleuritis on 04/07/1864 and is buried in the cemetery there. As best as we can figure while he was at the prison he either traded the badge to a guard or it was taken from him before or after his death. The place I found it at is about 25 miles from the prison so in all probability the guard lived there after the war. I have found various Eagle buttons in a field nearby and since there was no action or Union troops in the area I can only guess that they came from the same prison. This badge is about the size of a fifty cent piece.
OMG, that's amazing, and exactly what this thread is about. People find some great things, but too me, when you can connect the history of a find like that...... well that's what it's all about! Thanks for sharing.

HH, RN

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most important things to me are the family letters during the civil war. I hope to find time to put them on here to be deciphered . Also the pages of confederate stamps. I find them hard to read. I live on a battlefield so my favorites are probably the finds off my own land.
That carved lead is pretty cool. Very rare.
Great thread!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread