Seeking Help For New Hampshire Buttons!

reapp

Nov 1, 2005
Hello Forum!

I recently acquired a large group of buttons, and these were in the lot. These are New Hampshire Volunteer Militia Buttons with Scovill backmarks. They are listed in Tice and Albert's button guides, and are categorized as Tice NH200 and Albert NH6. The lettering of the backmark is depressed into the metal, and the "O" in "CO" is lower case. This varies from the button guides, as they state that they should have raised letters, and the "O" should be upper case. Does anyone have any input on this? Thanks in advance for your help!

David

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they 3 piece buttons? If so I think they are NH7 in Albert's book. NH7 is a staff officer's button and the backmark for it in Alberts is spelled with a small o in Co. 7 is a high dome and 6 looks like a flatter button than yours.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey FF1. Nice looking buttons.....I don't even care if they are Yankee buttons.....they are nice looking. Did you say you just acquired them?

OP
OP
R

reapp

Nov 1, 2005
I did. They are part of an old collection I acquired, and there is a whole coat's worth (20 buttons). Since my initial post, I've discovered that they were NH Officer's buttons, and of post-war vintage.

Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep... the lower-case letter o in Co (the abbreviation for Company) means ypur Scovill button was manufactured sometime between 1870 and 1920. Information source is "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon.

CivilWarFan

May 3, 2016
American Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo and the Silver Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These buttons are post civil war because of the single ring of dots on the backmark. Relicman.com is a really good resource. Transitional backmark made around 1870-1880.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread