Can anyone tell me if this is a Louisiana Civil War Buckle?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And even if it's not do you think it's authentic? IMG_0788.JPG IMG_0790.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't see any marks where paws were on the back?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The style looks right. Do a precise measurement of it. Let us know. Books are out there with the precise measurements. Looks like the two holes were meant for attachment, but it should have had something on the back if it was used as a belt buckle Did you dig it?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The style looks right. Do a precise measurement of it. Let us know. Books are out there with the precise measurements. Looks like the two holes were meant for attachment, but it should have had something on the back if it was used as a belt buckle Did you dig it?

I wish....I have to resort to buying them. I'm going to get exact measurements.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They're being sold as a set of Civil war era buckle/plates. Here's the other one. IMG_0791.JPG IMG_0793.JPG

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't touch those plates with a ten foot pole.
You might want to spend your money on some books, to educate yourself before you buy things you know nothing about.

Sydney Kerksis Plates and buckles of the American military 1795-1874 is a good start.
You can find it on ebay, used for around 40 dollars.

Last edited:

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The holes on the ends are kind of disconcerting. They look more like some sort of commemorative piece made after the war but I am not an expert. However I would be highly suspicious

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Palm tree one looks fake with the "CSA" and date on it. But ive heard of morons taking old artifacts like this and putting dates and names and stuff like that to sell it.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And even if it's not do you think it's authentic? View attachment 1481580 View attachment 1481581

These plates are above my knowledge .

It's Great to see that you are getting advice before buying.

IMO SC & LA plates of that type (even with field fix? ) holes would be pricey.

My club is Having it'a 41st Annual Civil War Show, Ill look for similar examples. 'JIC'

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much does it weigh? There is a modern reproduction struck from the original die on the market but it is much heavier than the real thing. The real Louisiana buckle is die stamped, weighs about 1.5 ounces and has dimensions of 2.26x3.30"s or 58x84 millimeters. I think the one you are looking at is a reproduction.
As for the palm tree(?) one, there is nothing even close to it in S. Kerksis' book on plates and buckles.
You don't say how much they are but if they are cheap, you know they are fantasy items and are still interested in them I say go ahead. I bought a Georgia buckle many years ago that I knew was a copy but I liked it so I got it.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much does it weigh? There is a modern reproduction struck from the original die on the market but it is much heavier than the real thing. The real Louisiana buckle is die stamped, weighs about 1.5 ounces and has dimensions of 2.26x3.30"s or 58x84 millimeters. I think the one you are looking at is a reproduction.
As for the palm tree(?) one, there is nothing even close to it in S. Kerksis' book on plates and buckles.
You don't say how much they are but if they are cheap, you know they are fantasy items and are still interested in them I say go ahead. I bought a Georgia buckle many years ago that I knew was a copy but I liked it so I got it.

It's on auction on eBay I think it's at $163 so far for both. I just appreciate before I bid I can ask TNET and get opinions and straight facts.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both of them are what civil war collectors & dealers call "Fantasy" plates, because none exactly like them was made before or during the civil war. Somebody used an Original to make a mold impression for casting the plate's front, whereas the back is totally incorrect for a civil war Military plate. Also, absoluely no genuine Southern State plates were marked CSA on the back, nor had a year-date marked on the back. Fantasy plates similar to these turn up on Ebay every so often... and it's dismaying to see people pay hundreds of dolalrs for these fakes.

A better, far more up-to-date book on civl war belt plates is "American Military Belt Plates" by O'Donnell & Campbell. It sells for only about $10 more than the very old and obsolete Kerksis buckle-book. For strictly Confederate plates, get "Confederate Buckles & Plates" by Mullinax.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both of them are what civil war collectors & dealers call "Fantasy" plates, because none exactly like them was made before or during the civil war. Somebody used an Original to make a mold impression for casting the plate's front, whereas the back is totally incorrect for a civil war Military plate. Also, absoluely no genuine Southern State plates were marked CSA on the back, nor had a year-date marked on the back. Fantasy plates similar to these turn up on Ebay every so often... and it's dismaying to see people pay hundreds of dolalrs for these fakes.

A better, far more up-to-date book on civl war belt plates is "American Military Belt Plates" by O'Donnell & Campbell. It sells for only about $10 more than the very old and obsolete Kerksis buckle-book. For strictly Confederate plates, get "Confederate Buckles & Plates" by Mullinax.

Thank you for the education. I'm going to invest in that book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread