Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do the antique engine and tractor show circuit on the East coast. Saturday I held my annual show here in The Upstate of South Carolina. One of my staff who is a Virginia digger, told me that one of the antique vendors had a CSA grave marker for sale. I told the guy I wasn't comfortable with it on display. He assured me that it was a repo. With all the dirt all over it I couldn't tell. My question: Were these things ever reproduced? If so I wonder why? Thanks Tony

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tony in SC

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just found that these markers were repoed. Should not have been so hard on the guy just trying to make a buck, o'well.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desecration is a serious issue. You had every right to protest its display. Repo or not it was dressed up with dirt to look real and for sale. Also a problem. Cheers

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What was the material type, Stone Or metal? Down here there were iron crosses, but 98% of them have been stolen. Have seen them in GA too. There are modern ones also.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
I searched Google and found...

They were put on graves by Veteran Groups. You will find "older ones" in Antique Shops, EBay, etc. These memorial markers were put out by veteran groups and removed after the holidays (some left them out all year round). Some were even purchased by cities to honor their lost soldiers. Over the years - many cemeteries were moved and markers left to rust in a pile, etc.

OP
OP
Tony in SC

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was cast iron. Which leads me to believe that it was a marker at one time. I have seen them in private cemetaries around here.
What was the material type, Stone Or metal? Down here there were iron crosses, but 98% of them have been stolen. Have seen them in GA too. There are modern ones also.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, i'd be weary of a Piece like that.
GL on yr show Circuit.

PArebel

Oct 26, 2007
Clearfield County, PA
I am retired and have a summer job mowing/weed eating a local cemetery. There are many GAR veterans with their GAR flag holders. Many of the older flag holders for the Civil War and later wars were, I believe, brass.
But, the druggies and alcoholics were stealing them for recycling. The local county supervisors changed over to aluminum which is a problem because when the wind blows the flag, the flag holder moves and strips the threads holding it to the base post.
We have not had any problems with theft for recycling but several years ago 3 of the older ones at a veteran's memorial went missing. The were returned a couple months later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread