Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here what the guy sent me.

“Hey it’s a nice Confederate rectangular CSA belt plate. This is in the category referred to as "Atlanta" or "Western Theater" plates. There are a number of varieties of these, differing in slight details from one another. Generally, though, they are quite sturdy and thickly cast, with a pronounced curve to them. I recovered this one in 1975 in North Georgia in the area where maneuvering and fighting took place during the Chickamauga Campaign of 1863. Although often overlooked, the Battle of Chickamauga was the largest and bloodiest battle in the Western Theater and second only to Gettysburg as the largest of the entire Civil War.

Plate is in fine excavated condition. It has a reddish-brown patina from the red clay of the soil. It's probably made of copper, or brass with a very high copper content. The plate displays the rough finish typical of Southern wartime production, such as the crude file marks seen on the letters. The sharp corners were rounded-off by the soldier; then and now, soldiers in the field don't like anything on their equipment digging into them. This is an indicator of actual use and wear. If you come across a supposedly original Civil War buckle or plate with sharp corners, it should raise huge red flags! Two of the hooks on the back are partially broken, which is normal for excavated examples of this type. I will ship this free by Priority Mail. The Riker display/ storage case is included.

On the current regular retail/ show market, this plate would easily sell for around $3,000. However, I'm not a retail dealer who bought it from who-knows-who, who dug it who-knows-where (maybe legally, maybe not) and has to turn a big profit on it. I'm a private collector and old-time detectorist selling artifacts out of my own collection.

I'm retired from the US Army with over 30 years of honorable active service, and rated as a Permanently & Totally Disabled Veteran due to wounds and injuries during my career. I also hold a Ph.D. in Military History with post-doctoral study in Military/ Battlefield Archaeology. Following my military career I taught these subjects at the university level as well as engaged in a great deal of archaeological field work until my military disabilities forced me to retire again. I also began metal detecting as a boy way back in 1961- over 56 years ago. About 2 years ago I began selling some of my extensive private collection to clear some of it out and supplement my retirement income.

Let me know if you’re interested”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I knew there was a reason I really like you Truth, Thanks for your service. :notworthy:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that one. Interesting. Two of the other three items he has are absolutely ok. The buckles are tough. I have purchased two of the Atlanta style buckles over the years. Both are long gone now. Both came from VERY reputable dealers who have actual shops. Had no trouble selling them for decent money. Never figured out how to make a profit, but it's ok to have something a few years, and then get almost all your funds back. I'd like opinions from others if this one is authentic or not. Most of the people who put up reproductions do not bother to invent stories to go with them. I'll look at it again, and see if it matches with anything in the reference books, although THAT is not exactly perfect science either.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, this is at the end of the listing:

"Bidders/ buyer must be aware that this is an excavated historical artifact that is over 150 years old. It is delicate and should not be handled, carried around, or played with. It has already been as cleaned, washed, brushed, etc as it should be, according to professional / academic archaeological preservation standards. No additional " cleaning " of any type should be undertaken. Further, any alteration to the condition of the item, no matter how slight -- under Federal law and the policies of both Ebay and Paypal - - voids all return / refund options.

I refuse to do business with anyone who is a retail, show, or online seller/dealer in Civil War artifacts. I've refused to have any dealings with any of those people for over 40 years ( except involvement in their criminal prosecutions or civil cases against them as an Expert Witness) so I refuse to do so on here. Further, I will not provide any additional information as to recovery locations or anything else other than what's stated here in the listing.

I have a No - Return policy due to disreputable people who pulled various scams or who altered items. However, if a buyer has a VALID reason I will work with you in some cases."

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW, this is at the end of the listing:

"Bidders/ buyer must be aware that this is an excavated historical artifact that is over 150 years old. It is delicate and should not be handled, carried around, or played with. It has already been as cleaned, washed, brushed, etc as it should be, according to professional / academic archaeological preservation standards. No additional " cleaning " of any type should be undertaken. Further, any alteration to the condition of the item, no matter how slight -- under Federal law and the policies of both Ebay and Paypal - - voids all return / refund options.

I refuse to do business with anyone who is a retail, show, or online seller/dealer in Civil War artifacts. I've refused to have any dealings with any of those people for over 40 years ( except involvement in their criminal prosecutions or civil cases against them as an Expert Witness) so I refuse to do so on here. Further, I will not provide any additional information as to recovery locations or anything else other than what's stated here in the listing.

I have a No - Return policy due to disreputable people who pulled various scams or who altered items. However, if a buyer has a VALID reason I will work with you in some cases."

So you think it’s legit

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know. But I know one thing for certain, if I sell anything on the internet I ALWAYS take returns. ALWAYS. Absolutely ALWAYS. I stand behind what I sell.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not know. But I know one thing for certain, if I sell anything on the internet I ALWAYS take returns. ALWAYS. Absolutely ALWAYS. I stand behind what I sell.

But that’s only if you alter it in anyway. I’ll bring it “carefully” to a Civil War guy in my town. He’ll know. He doesn’t have a cell phone. The guy sure sounds convincing.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sellers' policy is if you buy it, its yours.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes too much personal information is a red flag. IE claiming to be a disabled vet. I would never ever tell a person of my veterans status before or during a sale.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you must buy ...i would use PayPal i think they will take action if you r sold a fake.
I could be wrong...am a lot lately .
Gary

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G. A. P. Metal, you are right. Problem is getting a reputable dealer to give you something in writing, as he said she said won't work with a billing dispute, which would be the technical term.

I just looked at Howard Crouch's book "Repro Buckles of the Civil War" and did not see a match for it.

I also looked at "Confederate Belt Buckles & Plates" by Steve Mullinax, and did not see an exact match either. Several did come close.

This didn't help much.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sellers' policy is if you buy it, its yours.

I asked him about his policy for authenticity and he was insulted and removed me as highest bidder. He said he will never will do any business with me. :laughing

TnDigger0083

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked him about his policy for authenticity and he was insulted and removed me as highest bidder. He said he will never will do any business with me. :laughing

That should clear everything up.
Sounds like you are better off.
I personally don't buy the story he was giving.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are more buckles out there. I haven't been ripped on one yet, that I know of, except, wait, that one Union plate that wound up in the trash can, and then the landfill. Was cheap and I didn't bother trying to return it. Don't like throwing money away, but it would have been harder to get a 2nd opinion with the time and all involved, so I just dumped it. Would not resell it, that would be unethical.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are that determined to buy a buckle get off E-bay and go through a reputable dealer. A real one won't be cheap and a cheap one won't be real.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread