Cool that went well , Sweet Button + other stuff.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PA070345.JPG PA070347.JPG PA070348.JPG PA070351.JPG PA070352.JPG PA150372.JPG PA150373.JPG PA150374.JPG PA150377.JPG PA150378.JPG PA150387.JPG PA150386.JPG PA150390.JPG PA150391.JPG PA150392.JPG PA150393.JPG PA150394.JPG PA150395.JPG PA150396.JPG PA150397.JPG PA150398.JPG PA150399.JPG PA150400.JPG . :coffee2:

Upvote 0

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet hunt right there! I have a couple scripted I buttons but they are not near that nice congratulations.

HH, RN

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Picture 13 with brass circles in leather? Any ideas about what they are from? I just found one also. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508335963.919322.jpg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Underwonder asked:
"Picture 13 with brass circles in leather? Any ideas about what they are from?"

They are copper rivets, made to hold two thick pieces of leather together (like the bread in a sandwich). Corrosion of the copper in the ground produces Copper Oxide, which is toxic enough to kill the bacteria/mold and anything else that tries to eat the leather. That is why copper/brass rivets are often dug with some of the original leather surrounding them. The same thing happens occasionally with buttons, and buckles/boxplates, except with the latter the bacteria-killing chemical is Lead Oxide.

You asked what they are from. Answer: Lots of leather objects (particularly horsegear), harnesses, saddlebags, luggage, as well as military cartridge-boxes, etc. No way to tell with those rivets... unless you dig a clue like a cartridge-box finial right among them.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture 13 with brass circles in leather? Any ideas about what they are from? I just found one also. View attachment 1505978

I'm hoping 'each set of 3 ' were from a scabbard , Sword or bayonet. but could be off almost any Leather 'Tack' up until 1920 ,IMO but stuff is still made in this way today. Less likely with Brass tho unless it's a Very nice Piece.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Underwonder asked:

They are copper rivets, made to hold two thick pieces of leather together (like the bread in a sandwich). Corrosion of the copper in the ground produces Copper Oxide, which is toxic enough to kill the bacteria/mold and anything else that tries to eat the leather. That is why copper/brass rivets are often dug with some of the original leather surrounding them. The same thing happens occasionally with buttons, and buckles/boxplates, except with the latter the bacteria-killing chemical is Lead Oxide.

You asked what they are from. Answer: Lots of leather objects (particularly horsegear), harnesses, saddlebags, luggage, as well as military cartridge-boxes, etc. No way to tell with those rivets... unless you dig a clue like a cartridge-box finial right among them.

I type super slow , you beat me to it.
I like yr answer better.

I found 2 set's of 3 together ....Wishful thinking. 'on the Scabbard thing'.

P.S.
Your comments are always welcome on any of my dig's .

Got yr 'ration can opinion' thanks.
Davers

Last edited:

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Underwonder asked:

Thanks, TheCannonballGuy! You certainly have a lot of information and are generous with sharing your knowledge. A big thank you! I did keep it but almost tossed it...Davers' post came at a perfect time!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Underwonder, I'm generous witth my 40+ years of dug-relics knowledge because I'm "paying it forward" (meaning, repaying old favors I received). Back in the early 1970s when I was a newbie relic-hunter, I was given a LOT of free relic-ID help from a couple of oldtimers. Would've been much easier for them to say, "Go away kid, don't bother me with any more of your endless newbie questions." By the 1980s they'd both passed away. The only way to repay what they did for me is to do the same thing for others who need the knowledge. That's why nearly all of my posts are in the What-Is-It? forum -- and whenever needed, here in the the civil war relics forum.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Underwonder, I'm generous witth my 40+ years of dug-relics knowledge because I'm "paying it forward" (meaning, repaying old favors I received). Back in the early 1970s when I was a newbie relic-hunter, I was given a LOT of free relic-ID help from a couple of oldtimers. Would've been much easier for them to say, "Go away kid, don't bother me with any more of your endless newbie questions." By the 1980s they'd both passed away. The only way to repay what they did for me is to do the same thing for others who need the knowledge. That's why nearly all of my posts are in the What-Is-It? forum -- and whenever needed, here in the the civil war relics forum.

To The CannonballGuy.....I could PM you, but the deep appreciation to you and those before you deserve public applause. Thank you for escalating the art of metal detecting from simple materialistic finds to the spirit of love, knowledge, and human connection. Kudos, and many thanks to you and those who have gone before us...

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Dave. You have been busy. Nice hunt. I love that script I.

Thanks Man it can be tough finding relics here Confederate buttons especially.

Very nicely done. Some really nice relics.

Tanks TerryEastTexas, You done pretty well on some Rare Texas relics , like the SWEET! 'C' in yr avatar.

To The CannonballGuy.....I could PM you, but the deep appreciation to you and those before you deserve public applause. Thank you for escalating the art of metal detecting from simple materialistic finds to the spirit of love, knowledge, and human connection. Kudos, and many thanks to you and those who have gone before us...

You are 1,000% right Underwonder.
Even tho the suspender buckle & others are not worth much, TCBG's Info, made my mind go back to 1900-1907 & picture the fellow wearing the Suspenders & with "millions of pairs sold" I'd like to think a Pair or 2 may have went down with the Titanic. At-least an older 'reserve' pair ' by 1912. Maybe ???

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never found a script I, they're awesome buttons, congrats.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found a script I, they're awesome buttons, congrats.

Thanks so much it was a type I wanted to find before my 'Big Gig in the Sky'.

Freaked when it popped out with such a Great face.

CivilWarFan

May 3, 2016
American Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo and the Silver Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice civil war relics. The script I button was made by Issacs Campbell and son in London. Too bad the shank is damaged, but still a great button and Confederate. The bullets are Civil War era as well. Congrats

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice civil war relics. The script I button was made by Issacs Campbell and son in London. Too bad the shank is damaged, but still a great button and Confederate. The bullets are Civil War era as well. Congrats

Thanks CivilWarFan.
The button was found at a Skirmish site & i'm pretty sure it lost it's shank in Battle.

So for me it's 'Context found' makes up for the broken Shank.

Merry Christmas up there in Sasquatch Country.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread