a good day for hunting

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello to all,

Found one round bullet yesterday so I went back. Some arrowhead hunters gave me some intelligence and confessed they found things there on the surface including a CSA belt plate. Well I hunted 4 hours at a one mile an hour pace and found some things. The percussion caps were a new thing. I knew what they were, but have not found any metal detecting. The corn field was just cut so it was easy work with a 15-20 mile per hour cold wind blowing. First I got the fired 58 with the pointed nose and a percussion cap, but had to hunt a lot to get more. Went back to the place where I found the round ball yesterday and the darn train came by as I hunted with the AT pro. Could hear nothing for the train, but saw a 67 come up on the screen. That meant lead. Got a round ball and another 10 feet away. Hunted the area entirely and got the percussion cap. Then the bullet at the top left which may be half melted or knife cut. Anyway, this was a lot of finds for around here. The area was captured by union in 1862 and there was sparse skirmishes with the heroic Col Meades Alabama Partisan Rangers until surrender in May 1865. Thanks for looking. Butlerday1n2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A Good Day indeed. Congrat's to you on the save of some nice CW History. Ded Jim' Yanks. Lol

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt! I have yet to find a percussion cap. I think the ground around here eats them like it does buttons.
Congratulations!

HH, RN

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know what you mean relic nut. Thanks.
We have horrible acid soil and agricultural chemical dissolve things. Going back for more tomorrow. Miles of cut corn, permission and beautiful country. Nothing like digging in a constantly plowed field.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alabama11, based on some of your statements in your previous posts, I think you would rather know the correct ID of your finds, even when it's disappointing. Your two small copper cup-shaped objects are not percussion caps, they are the peeled-off copper jacket from hollow-point copper-jacketed bullets. (See the photo below.) Sometimes when the fired bullet plows into the ground, the jacket turns loose of the lead core, which keeps going, leaving the jacket behind. That's why the edges look peeled back.

Attachments

• bullet_COPPERJACKETED-45caliber_hollowpoint_topview_00b8_1.jpg
    bullet_COPPERJACKETED-45caliber_hollowpoint_topview_00b8_1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you CBGT for that correction. Maybe I will find a percussion cap someday.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt! I have yet to find a percussion cap. I think the ground around here eats them like it does buttons.
Congratulations!

HH, RN

Relic Nut.
Do you dig a-lot of ...say 22 short's cases ? or 22 long cases? or even smaller 22 bullets?

If not you 'IMO' my need to slow yr search speed or lower discrimination.?

I never found but 1 or 2 using my XLT in factory Relic Mode.
Found more when I started using my Tejon , I found them more often (the site helped to), thinking back I found my 1st one using my 1266x before a battery short made it have a meltdown , both the Tejon & 1266-X , & my newer G2+ are higher frequency machines in the range of 17-19 kHz ; so they like smaller stuff better than higher freq, machines.

Bet you get one or more ( usually found in small bunches , for me) by the end of the year.
GL

A11
Are your percussion caps Heavy?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alabama11, based on some of your statements in your previous posts, I think you would rather know the correct ID of your finds, even when it's disappointing. Your two small copper cup-shaped objects are not percussion caps, they are the peeled-off copper jacket from hollow-point copper-jacketed bullets. (See the photo below.) Sometimes when the fired bullet plows into the ground, the jacket turns loose of the lead core, which keeps going, leaving the jacket behind. That's why the edges look peeled back.

Ahhh, seem's I was a few day's late posting , I was afraid this was the case, I did not have the 'Heart' to say something; it seem's I give A11 more bad news than Good news (Opinions) on his finds.

That's why I asked if they were heavy.
+ They sound 'Real' good especially if they are off 45 cal or Rifle Bullets.

I vote Only 'Bonded' bullets should be used outdoors.:bom:

Same ?'s and advice to you that I gave Relic Nut ( other than the hunt slow part ).

Don't feel bad those things fooled me many times.
Gl & be safe out there Mr. A11 :metaldetector:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I just found this thread. A few days late, but congratulations anyway, alabama11!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread