Bayonet socket - What model is it? Civil War/Indian Wars era

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Hi All,

Found this bayonet socket at and early 1850's Indian War fort site while digging a trash pit. I haven't been able to ID this style as it appears the bayonet would have been inserted into the socket and not made as one piece.

Any experts out there know this model/style bayonet socket? I would love to find out more information.

Thanks!

DSC01626.JPG DSC01627.JPG DSC01628.JPG DSC01629.JPG DSC01630.JPG

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Please use a digital caliper to measure the exact diameter of the socket's INTERIOR, and tell us its measurement. That will tell us the diameter of the gunbarrel it fit onto, which will help to identify it. For example, we civil war diggers use the "penny in the socket" test. If a penny fits into the socket, the bayonet is civil war era or earlier. If the penny won't fit, the bayonet is postwar, and most likely a US model-1873 "Government" .45-70 Rifle bayonet.

OP
OP
Ifyndit

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the info. A penny drops through with room to spare so I tried a nickel and it almost fits but is just a hair to large. I don't have a digital caliper but it did measure the inside diameter with an old fashion caliper and the diameter is 21mm. Hopefully this will help narrow down the model/style of the socket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ifyndit

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
DSC01631.jpg I think I found the bayonet socket. It appears to be very similar to the 1842 Springfield Fencing bayonet socket pictured.
DSC01632.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread