Need help dating a button!

Mar 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a button from my alma matar at a shop in Gettysburg today. I can’t find an exact match to the button back anywhere online, though. Could one of the button experts out there give me a hand!? Thanks in advance.
0DA1B0A1-FD3E-47DB-A604-763581AE6584.jpeg 3CF76FF5-DBFE-4D86-B824-59CE76930316.jpeg

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not find an exact 'Back-mark' match in my Albert's button Book .
Some close but not exact.
It does say "D. Evans & Co. 1848-1945"
Maybe the Tice Book can help.
Nice looking button. & from your school to .

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found one identical (same back mark even), on this website:

CampSite Artifacts  ·

It's at the bottom of the page. They claim it's 1830's but unfortunately provide no reference numbers in the description.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Norwich University Cadet button at the website linked by Palmetto Pony dates to the 1830s because it is a brass 1-piece button with a raised-lettering Robinsons & Co backmark. Robinson's was bought by D. Evans in 1848.

Your brass 2-piece cuff-button's backmark saying " * D.Evans & Co * Extra" dates it to being made sometime between the 1860s and the 1880s. Unfortunately there is no way to narrow down the date any further than that.

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Norwich University Cadet button at the website linked by Palmetto Pony dates to the 1830s because it is a brass 1-piece button with a raised-lettering Robinsons & Co backmark. Robinson's was bought by D. Evans in 1848.

Your brass 2-piece cuff-button's backmark saying " * D.Evans & Co * Extra" dates it to being made sometime between the 1860s and the 1880s. Unfortunately there is no way to narrow down the date any further than that.

Thanks for keeping me honest! Dohhhh! I found several examples with variations on D. Evans and on Robinson back marks. I switched the makers around when I was looking, guess I got too focused on the "extra" mark. Thanks for correcting my oversight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread