Shell I bought

digger42071

Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Master Hunter 7
Coin master 6DB
I bought this at the local flea market. I think it’s from the Ft Donaldson Campaign since it’s a big shell. What do you think? What’s the history on these? How should I preserve it? How rare is it? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510625309.251890.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510625328.585075.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510625351.154605.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510625380.691557.jpg

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good lord its big. I don't know your answer, but I'm sure someone will chime in with the answer soon.

OP
OP
D

digger42071

Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Master Hunter 7
Coin master 6DB
Yea big shell. Why I think it came from Ft Donaldson Campaign.

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks like a CS Read projectile minus its sabot. Although, I didn't know that they were made that large, so I may be off on its identification. CB Guy surely will give you the definitive answer.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a Confederate 6.4"-caliber Brooke shell...missing its copper "ratchet-plate" sabot. A large bolt attached the sabot to the shell's base, through a hole in the center of the sabot. Your shell is also missing the top of its rare Confederate Navy Archer Percussion fuze (which screwed into the brass bushing you see in the shell's fuzehole). Many of the heavy-caliber Brooke projectiles are missing their sabot when dug... it either tore loose upon being fired, or tore off when the projectile smashed into the target or the ground.

Since whoever sold it to you did not know what kind of shell it is, you almost certainly got a very good deal on it. Although it is missing its sabot, and the fuze has major damage, the iron body is in decent condition. It is worth at least $400, perhaps somewhat more. Would be worth triple that much if it had its copper sabot and its CS Navy Archer Percussion fuze was undamaged.

Sorry, but it is unlikely that Fort Donelson fired a Brooke shell with a CS Navy fuze in it. Not impossible, but highly unlikely. Still, you could check to see whether or not that fort contained a 6.4"-caliber Brooke rifled cannon. (Your shell is too long-bodied (meaning, heavy) to have been fired from a Rifled 32-Pounder Smoothbore cannon.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Donelson

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

digger42071

Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Master Hunter 7
Coin master 6DB
Researching local cannon Columbus Belmont has a few of these:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510659920.675666.jpg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a nice shell. Congrat's. That will look nice with your collection.

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to check that bend in the river, when I went to those emplacements and trenches as a kid that artillery setup the Rebs had would just shatter anything coming up that river (and they did) but overland troops were not what Simon Bolivar Buckner(Buckner had point in Bowling Green) (or was it A. S. Johnston dunno) was expecting. Major weakness of Fort Donaldson, it was not set up for ground troops but for river protection. Mouth of the Harpeth at the Cumberland there was supposed to be another artillery battery.

OP
OP
D

digger42071

Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Master Hunter 7
Coin master 6DB
They had 3 forts Ft Henry which was at a bad location. Ft Heiman which was being built to replace Ft Henry and Ft Donaldson. I few big shells have been found. I was with a picker who bought one from a guy who found one in a field across the River from Ft Donaldson. I wish I had taken a picture of it. I need to go see the Shells in the museum at Ft Donaldson. I may do this in a few days if it’s open.

Columbus Belmont also had large river guns. Several Big Rifled guns. They shot them across the Mississippi at the land battle in Missouri. I wonder if anyone dug any big shells out of those fields?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread