jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traded one of my saloon token, Cartridge plate and this Bugle insignia , need info a on it 20171118_122619.jpg 20171118_122553.jpg 20171118_122559.jpg 20171118_122609.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As you know, in the relic-collecting hobby, Condition and Completeness (no missing parts) affect the dollar-value almost as much as Rarity does. The oval US cartridge box plate in that condition, having some scaling of the solder filler-metal in its back (which is a "minus"), but complete with both iron wire attachment-loops (which is a "plus"), would bring about $150 at a civil war relic show in Virginia (where I live), perhaps a bit more elsewhere.

The model-1858 US Army Infantry hunting-horn insignia is mostly complete, probably missing its iron wire attachment-loops, but shows a shovel-hit on its mouth and its body is twisted at other places. It would sell for about $25 at a relic show in Virginia.

I never rely on Ebay prices, because there's little rhyme-or-reason to sales there. I've seen a $75 dug Confederate Infantry button sell for $50 and also for $150 on Ebay, because two guys who wanted it got into a bidding contest. It's crazy. Always remember that Ebay is an Auction site... and darn near anything can happen in Auction bidding. It is not a reliable indicator of any object's value.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, that's what need your help is greatly appreciated , last question plate and infantry horn hat pin real ????

Sent from my SM-G950U using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was the U.S. plate sold as a non-dug one? If it was sold as dug, I would be extremely suspicious because it lacks any patina. If that was advertised as a dug one, I would have avoided that one. The hat pin, no question is real. I suppose if the U.S. plate came from water it could possibly have that lack of patina, but I guess it depends on where they said the plate was found. Could even be a reenactor's plate, but I'm not sure as I don't know how similar those are to the real deal.

Last edited:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a saloon token once that some 'experts' told me was worth, and offered me $150.
I sold it on eBay, and got almost $500.
Just sayin....

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The horn insignia and the US boxplate are definitely the real thing. The metal used as the "filler" in the back of the thin sheetbrass front of US eagle breastplates and oval US buckles and cartridge boxplates was Solder. NOT lead, although nearly everybody says "lead-filled." Lead patina (oxidation/corrosion) can easily be faked. The excavated (dug) Solder filler in buckle, breastplate, and boxplate backs has a very distinctive flaky/cracked form of corrosion, which cannot be faked. So, what we see on the back of your boxplate is the proof that it is a real one, not a reproduction.

I must add that Worm Slicer's concern is understandable, based on the lack of the usual "dug" patina on your boxplate's front. However, I've been an excavated civil war relics dealer (and digger) for over 40 years. In that time I've seen many US buckles, boxplates, and breastplates whose brass front was overcleaned/shined by the digger. Unless something as extreme as sandpaper was used to shine the brass, it eventually re-tarnishes to the color you see on the front of your boxplate. I am quite certain it is real.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the U.S. plate sold as a non-dug one? If it was sold as dug, I would be extremely suspicious because it lacks any patina. If that was advertised as a dug one, I would have avoided that one. The hat pin, no question is real. I suppose if the U.S. plate came from water it could possibly have that lack of patina, but I guess it depends on where they said the plate was found. Could even be a reenactor's plate, but I'm not sure as I don't know how similar those are to the real deal.

I'm always suspicious, & trust anyone I don't know well.

I found a saloon token once that some 'experts' told me was worth, and offered me $150.
I sold it on eBay, and got almost $500.
Just sayin....

That deal will always work. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread