devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Soda Can Finder, be sure to stay away and off of Federal land with a MD and equipment. If caught, you would be treated 10 times worse than Charles Manson was ever treated during his lifetime.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your best bet is private permission. You'll get plenty of "no's" but you'll get some yes's too. Ask a farmer right after the crop has been cut maybe tell him you'll take any trash you encounter. Also I believe Danville is not too far from you; I believe Danville and a couple of other burgs out that way sell metal detecting licenses for public land.

If you attend a church, that is a good community to get a permission from. If you have an extra machine invite the owner to go along.

Good luck.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soda Can Finder, be sure to stay away and off of Federal land with a MD and equipment. If caught, you would be treated 10 times worse than Charles Manson was ever treated during his lifetime.

He not Lying.

Your question is one we all ask at some point , I'd love a VA site & would drive from Georgia & be happy to find a Minnie .

Good 'productive' sites for Civil War relics are like the old timers & prospectors today Gold Claims & protect them like Family.

Scout & Knock you will get lucky at some point + lot's of Relic Hunters in VA.

Good Luck & Welcome to the T-net site.

I got a cap Gun or 2 over the years , some are still in pretty decent shape.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Soda Can Finder, I must add to Devldog's caution-note. Not just US Government-owned land. Somewhat surprisingly, it's illegal to use a metal detector on a US National Seashore beach. Same at US National Forest land.

Here in Virginia (where you live) and elsewhere, State, County, and City-owned land can be highly illegal to dig on. An infamous example is the Newport News / Hampton Roads (VA) Waterworks property. If in doubt about ANY government-owned land, ask an authoritative info source. Don't rely on Joe No-name's word. Call the city or county (etc.) AND get the name of the government employee you talked to.

Fortunately for us relic-hunters, the National Park Service almost never owns all of the land at a battlefield. Go to the park's visitor center and get their free handout leaflet which shows the park's current boundaries, and ask whether what it shows is up-to-date.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best places are private permissions. See if you can find a local metal detecting club. Some clubs have group outings and it's a good way to start. Almost everywhere I dig is private land and I've been killing it this year.

OP
OP
S

Soda Can Finder

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2017
Halifax Va
Detector(s) used
The Lone Star Metal Detector and the Bounty Hunter Localisateur pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you ill check at some parks.