Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, do you remember your first CW relic? Mine was a bullet, five years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. I have been fortunate to find some great stuff but that fired three ringer was what got it all started. Seems silly now but I had the shakes when I realized what it was. I have that bullet in a special place and will cherish it always.
Share your story if like.

HH, RN

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first relic was a Confederate bullet from the cornfield at Antietam, way back in the day before it became part of the park.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Relic Nut, good post. My first relic ever was a piece of Hotckiss Artillery shell frag found in 1969 aged 13 years using a WWII Army surplus mine sweeper that weighed about as much as I did. This was found in the Kennesaw Mountain area in Cobb County, Georgia.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yankee Breast Plate, 1993 just started detecting and was hitting a big empty lot in Tyler, Tx., totally unexpected, later i found out the Yankees camped there during so called Reconstruction. IMG_0198.JPG its the one on the left

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine was a CW token dug 2 years ago. I'm really looking forward to hunting with you, Tom and DN this spring.

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was a CW token dug 2 years ago. I'm really looking forward to hunting with you, Tom and DN this spring.
We are as well, should be a blast!

HH, RN

TerryEastTexas

Oct 26, 2004
Palestine. Tx.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Other
My first CW relic was a T E Miller cavalry button at about 6" in 2009. I really didn't know what I had at the time but I posted on some forums for ID and was supprised. It really made me happy. Since then I almost excleusively relic hunt. It is my avatar.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find on the breast plate. The Yankee Eagle Breast Plate is one of the items on my bucket list. It has eluded me for over 30 years. Still, I hunt in an effort to bag one.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was skipping school in the late 60's early 70's and eyeballed a 3-ringer on the ground. I told my dad about it and he went there with his Metrotech and did pretty good. NO, I did not get in any trouble for skipping school .. well that time at least. Sadly I've only really gotten into relic hunting in the last 2 1/2 years.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still looking for one haha, though western ny is not the place to look

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine were these dropped 3 ringers. I’ve found 8 in the last 4 months all have been one day at a time. I hame now hooked on relics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
My one and only CW find is this eagle button. Found in the mountains of western Pa.

Here is a pic of the crew that trapesed through the woods for miles in search of an old foundation.

I have a hunt scheduled in the April, CW specific, so hopefully, I will get my first bullet. I can't talk about the hunt, secret squirrel type stuff, I am sure that YOU understand...

Wishing you the very best sir!

Attachments

• IMG_20160420_154409_313-1.jpg
    IMG_20160420_154409_313-1.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20160417_105857_245.jpg
    IMG_20160417_105857_245.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread. My first CW relic was a confederate bullet found in Gettysburg. I was hooked. Following that I managed hand fulls of bullets, a US breast and US Box plates. WP_20170205_19_43_52_Pro.jpg WP_20170221_22_32_11_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My one and only CW find is this eagle button. Found in the mountains of western Pa.

Here is a pic of the crew that trapesed through the woods for miles in search of an old foundation.

I have a hunt scheduled in the April, CW specific, so hopefully, I will get my first bullet. I can't talk about the hunt, secret squirrel type stuff, I am sure that YOU understand...

Wishing you the very best sir!
It will be an honor sir to be your first! LOL!

HH, RN

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yankee Breast Plate, 1993 just started detecting and was hitting a big empty lot in Tyler, Tx., totally unexpected, later i found out the Yankees camped there during so called Reconstruction. View attachment 1525816 its the one on the left
I've yet to find a breast plate, and wan't one bad! Some day if I'm lucky I'll get to post it. Thanks for sharing.

HH, RN

Last edited:
OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first CW relic was a T E Miller cavalry button at about 6" in 2009. I really didn't know what I had at the time but I posted on some forums for ID and was supprised. It really made me happy. Since then I almost excleusively relic hunt. It is my avatar.
A cavalry button still eludes me, but hopefully it will happen someday. Thanks for sharing.

HH, RN

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine were these dropped 3 ringers. I’ve found 8 in the last 4 months all have been one day at a time. I hame now hooked on relics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember your post and Your Enthusiasm. You'll never be the same.

HH, RN

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really can't remember my first civil war relic. I do remember going to construction sites in my home town (Hagerstown, Md) back in the early 1960s and picking up bullets to take to the creek so I could see how many times I could make them skip across the water. I ignored the buttons and other stuff because they wouldn't skip worth a darn! I did find one breast plate while hunting with my brother about 20 years ago. It was on top of the ground but under a dried cow patty! Over the years I have given away many of my C/W finds to kids and members of different relic hunting sites. Here's a picture of some of the stuff I still have including the breast plate or what's left of it.

Attachments

• 20171213_231134.jpg
    20171213_231134.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 70

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Thread guy's.

For me I think it would have been a 32 or 36 caliber Round Ball , IDK ,I cleaned that thing so much it looked almost brand New :BangHead: ...but I was not found in a known Civil War area & could have been just an old 'Buck Ball', Found in 1998 and still have it.

The first 'For Sure' Civil War Relic was dug on a Softball Field in late 1998 or early 1999.( It was cold )
It was a Fired type 3 Williams Cleaner with out it's Zinc bottom. It took me forever to find out what it was ,there was a small Relic Shop near Kennessaw Mountain & the Veteran Relic hunter Told & Showed me what it was .
I got that one put up as well, ( a cherished memory for sure).

I have never dug a Breast Plate either , came close as a 'Green Horn' as I heard of people finding Plates & Buttons 'Cast I's mostly' at sites since developed that I hunted in the late 90's - 2001.

I still cherish every Civil War relic I find just as the First.

BTW, All Civil War relic hunters are "Serious " Relic hunters.

In case I missed the Invite for the April Hunt PM me for E-mail info. Thanks :laughing7:

Merry Christmas & Happy hunting to all & to all a blessed & bountiful 2018.
Davers / Davey :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread