Just realized what I️ had in my miscellaneous bullets.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three .45 Cal Confederate Whitworth Sharpshooter bullets. I️ read they where kind of rare. IMG_1856.JPG

Upvote 0

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow. What great finds. Nice work.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish I didn't have to say this, but... they appear to be too short for Whitworth bullets. There are some slightly postwar .45 Buffalo Sharps Rifle bullets which are about that length. They are shown and described in the Thomas-&-Thomas "Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges as bullets #65 and #66. That book says they date from 1876 into the 1880s. We need some closeup photos showing what sort of cavity is in your bullets. Also, if you've got a Caliper, precise measurements of your bullets' diameter and length would help in correctly identifying them.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I didn't have to say this, but... they appear to be too short for Whitworth bullets. There are some slightly postwar .45 Buffalo Sharps Rifle bullets which are about that length. They are shown and described in the Thomas-&-Thomas "Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges as bullets #65 and #66. That book says they date from 1876 into the 1880s. We need some closeup photos showing what sort of cavity is in your bullets. Also, if you've got a Caliper, precise measurements of your bullets' diameter and length would help in correctly identifying them.

One thing about me TCG is I️ can handle the Truth. Lol. Here you go buddy IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0002.JPG

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I appreciate your wise outlook. I too believe it is better to know the truth.

Unfortunately, your bullets' measurement is a dead-on (to one-hundredth of an inch) match for the 1876 Buffalo Sharps .45 metallic-cartridge bullet shown as bullet #66A in the "Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges." The Buffalo Sharps bullet is 1.09" long by .450" diameter and yours is 1.08" by .450" diameter. Also, yours has the same "dish/shallow-bowl" cavity as 66A.

For anybody here who wants to know, for future reference when you suspect you've found a Whitworth bullet... the CSA .45 Whitworth in the "Handbook" is 1.40 long by .445 diameter... fully .30" longer than the .45 Buffalo Sharps bullet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate your wise outlook. I too believe it is better to know the truth. Unfortunately, your bullets' measurement is a dead-on (to one-hundredth of an inch) match for the 1876 Buffalo Sharps .45 metallic-cartridge bullet shown as bullet #66A in the "Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges." The Buffalo Sharps bullet is 1.09" long by .450" diameter and yours is 1.08" by .450" diameter. Also, yours has the same "dish/shallow-bowl" cavity as 66A.

For anybody here who wants to know, for future reference when you suspect you've found a Whitworth bullet... the CSA .45 Whitworth in the "Handbook" is 1.40 long by .445 diameter... fully .30" longer than the .45 Buffalo Sharps bullet.

Thank you very much cannonball. Appreciate your time.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was afraid this was the case , hence I held back a response, I hope you did indeed have (Shorter Whitworth) that I did not know about.

My 1996 published T&T HBOCWC does state # 66 a and b are " .45 caliber, Whitworth ( Bullets: A, D- .450, L- 1.09 , W-387) " & 66 B; Dia-.437 , L-1.11 , W 398.) Shorter variants, "A" has a dished base and "B" has a cone cavity".

Has this been updated in later publishing's (if there were any)?

Cause looking at my copy , I would think I had 'Short Whitworth' Variants.

The # 67 'Hexagonal ' Variant is explained to my satisfaction as is # 68 " double-end" Whitworth.

I also learned that I have been spelling' Wintworth ' wrong for almost 20 years . 'Whitworth'.

Guess it would have help if I had found 1 . LOL

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was afraid this was the case , hence I held back a response, I hope you did indeed have (Shorter Whitworth) that I did not know about.

My 1996 published T&T HBOCWC does state # 66 a and b are " .45 caliber, Whitworth ( Bullets: A, D- .450, L- 1.09 , W-387) " & 66 B; Dia-.437 , L-1.11 , W 398.) Shorter variants, "A" has a dished base and "B" has a cone cavity".

Has this been updated in later publishing's (if there were any)?

Cause looking at my copy , I would think I had 'Short Whitworth' Variants.

The # 67 'Hexagonal ' Variant is explained to my satisfaction as is # 68 " double-end" Whitworth.

I also learned that I have been spelling' Wintworth ' wrong for almost 20 years . 'Whitworth'.

Guess it would have help if I had found 1 . LOL

I️ friend of mine did find this one 50 yards from these. I’m pretty sure this one is the real deal. I’ll keep looking trust me until I get one. LOL IMG_1926.JPG IMG_1927.JPG IMG_1928.JPG IMG_1929.JPG

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Davers wrote:
> My 1996 published T&T HBOCWC does state # 66 a and b are " .45 caliber, Whitworth ( Bullets: A, D- .450, L- 1.09 , W-387) " & 66 B; Dia-.437 , L-1.11 , W 398.) Shorter variants, "A" has a dished base and "B" has a cone cavity".
> Has this been updated in later publishing's (if there were any)?

Yes, the Thomas-&-Thomas "Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" has been updated since your 1996 edition was published. My copy of the updated version says "Revised 2007."

Interestingly, I also have a copy of the 1996 edition which must have been updated after your copy was printed. In it, bullets #65, and 66A & 66B are titled "Sharps 1876-1880s." In my Revised 2007 copy, bullets #65 and 66 are Whitworth bullets, there is no 66B, and the three Sharps bullets have been moved to the bottom of the page inside a separate "block" and labeled (without bullet numbers) as .45-70 Sharps, with the same metallic-cartridge info as before.

The current edition of the Thomas-&-Thomas "Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" is available from one of the authors, Jim Thomas, for $10, at:
www.civilwarprojectiles.com
When you get there, click on "Books." Jim's contact info, (phone and email), is at the bottom of the Books webpage.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Truth1253 wrote:
> I️ friend of mine did find this one 50 yards from these. I’m pretty sure this one is the real deal.

It is a fired real Whitworth Minie bullet. The distinctive rifling shape made by the Whitworth Rifle's hexagonal bore (not mere ordinary 6-groove rifling) is the key ID clue. Also, it has the correct cavity for a Whitworth, a semi-small cone with a very thick rim.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth1253 wrote:
> I️ friend of mine did find this one 50 yards from these. I’m pretty sure this one is the real deal.

It is a fired real Whitworth Minie bullet. The distinctive rifling shape made by the Whitworth Rifle's hexagonal bore (not mere ordinary 6-groove rifling) is the key ID clue. Also, it has the correct cavity for a Whitworth, a semi-small cone with a very thick rim.

Yeah I️ was excited to see that it came from the same area I️ detected. I️ actually just him 2 weeks ago and he came up and introduced himself. Very very knowledgeable guy about the Civil War and a 20 year detectorist at that. So I’m planning on learning a lot from this guy. Love this hobby

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I️ was excited to see that it came from the same area I️ detected. I️ actually just him 2 weeks ago and he came up and introduced himself. Very very knowledgeable guy about the Civil War and a 20 year detectorist at that. So I’m planning on learning a lot from this guy. Love this hobby

He also showed me a couple of his finds. IMG_1940.JPG IMG_1941.JPG IMG_1942.JPG

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers wrote:
> My 1996 published T&T HBOCWC does state # 66 a and b are " .45 caliber, Whitworth ( Bullets: A, D- .450, L- 1.09 , W-387) " & 66 B; Dia-.437 , L-1.11 , W 398.) Shorter variants, "A" has a dished base and "B" has a cone cavity".
> Has this been updated in later publishing's (if there were any)?

Yes, the Thomas-&-Thomas "Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" has been updated since your 1996 edition was published. My copy of the updated version says "Revised 2007."

Interestingly, I also have a copy of the 1996 edition which must have been updated after your copy was printed. In it, bullets #65, and 66A & 66B are titled "Sharps 1876-1880s." In my Revised 2007 copy, bullets #65 and 66 are Whitworth bullets, there is no 66B, and the three Sharps bullets have been moved to the bottom of the page inside a separate "block" and labeled (without bullet numbers) as .45-70 Sharps, with the same metallic-cartridge info as before.

The current edition of the Thomas-&-Thomas "Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" is available from one of the authors, Jim Thomas, for $10, at:
www.civilwarprojectiles.com
When you get there, click on "Books." Jim's contact info, (phone and email), is at the bottom of the Books webpage.

FWIW I typed all this earlier today before Church but I got logged out had to reload the page :BangHead: Then Sign back in & the info was Gone :icon_scratch:.

Oh Well as I stated earlier , my book was bought in 1997 & the only Sharps bullets with metal cartridges are on page 29. 1 is listed as a .54 Sharps & Hankins Bullet/ Cartridge with the 'pin' protruding from it's base (to hold the linen wad in place). 2 ed is also a .54 Sharps & Hankins.
It states was used in the ( old model ) carbine & was thought until recently that it was to be used in the 'Ballard carbine'. Then 3rd a .38 caliber Sharps , a Reloadable Cartridge case for a Sharps Lever action pistol, the brass case had an extra ear soldiered to it to aid in extraction.
'A neat little load IMO'. #'s are 124 , 125 , 126, respectively.

I looked pretty hard but I don't see the " 45-70 Sharps" listed by that name in my Copy.

I had lost this copy for a few years and bought another one in the late 2000's ; that I have since misplaced .:laughing7:

I will look into getting another Copy as I feel it's good to have as many of these 'Handy' books as possible.

Funny I bought the first copy at the Gift Shop /Museum at the Kennessaw Mountain National Battlefield Park.
Merry Christmas
Davey

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread