739.4 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A week or so ago the Gold glit button had a lot of chat about it on another thread ... some thought civil war and some thought some Island country .
Palmetto Tree Button... South Carolina, But the base of the tree is different

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh That is mean. BUT better than a lump of coal!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother sent me some presents for Christmas but wouldn't tell me what they are. He said I could figure them out myself. I think that's kind of mean! :laughing7: Here are just a few of the things I got. Do You know what they are?

Nice North Carolina Button & A very Nice South Carolina Button . How Nice Back-Marks? Especially on the SC.

Your Brother is Super Nice IMO.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A week or so ago the Gold glit button had a lot of chat about it on another thread ... some thought civil war and some thought some Island country .
Palmetto Tree Button... South Carolina, But the base of the tree is different

The South Carolina look's like a Silvered 1 piece , if so I want a Brother.

I'm really just guessing , as any SC or NC (St or Star ) is on my G.I.S. List.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The S. Carolina is a two piece. I can't quite make out the back marks on either button and I have misplaced my magnifying glass.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Cool Brother you have indeed , is he a Digger?

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Cool Brother you have indeed , is he a Digger?

He is. Hopefully he will soon be posting here. He got a used laptop for Christmas. He found a revolutionary war button that only three are known to exist.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful gifts and best of all they are from you brother who obviously loves you enough to send you a present you
Would truly enjoy.

Thanx for sharing!

0CC273E3-4ACD-4E2C-BE0F-CEA60695164E.jpeg

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It's Latin To Me

CIVIL-WAR-CONFEDERATE-SOUTH-CAROLINA-BUTTON
Animis Opibusque Parati... Prepared in Mind and Resources!

"The Great Seal of the State of South Carolina was adopted in 1776. The seal is made up of two elliptical areas, linked by branches of the palmetto tree. The image on the left is dominated by a tall palmetto tree and an oak tree, fallen and broken. This scene represents the battle fought on June 28, 1776, between defenders of the unfinished fort on Sullivan's Island, and the British Fleet. The standing palmetto represents the victorious defenders, and the fallen oak is the British Fleet. Banded together on the palmetto with the motto "Quis separabit?" ("Who Will Separate [Us]?"), are 12 spears that represent the first 12 states of the Union. Surrounding the image, at the top, is "South Carolina", and below, is "Animis Opibusque Parati" ("Prepared in Mind and Resources"). The other image on the seal depicts the Roman Goddess Spes walking along a shore that is littered with weapons. The Goddess, symbolizing Hope, grasps a branch of laurel as the sun rises behind her. Below her image is her name "Spes", Latin for "Hope", and over the image is the motto "Dum Spiro Spero", or "While I Breathe I Hope".

The Great Seal of South Carolina was "set" or "affixed" to the Ordinance of Secession of December 20, 1860, at Secession Hall in Charleston shortly after 7:00 p.m., following which convention delegates signed it, including Robert Barnwell Rhett, as some three thousand South Carolinians watched enthusiastically the proclamation of"

Details
ArmigerState of South Carolina
Adopted1776
MottoQuis separabit?
Meliorem Lapsa Locavit
Animis Opibusque Parati
Dum Spiro Spero
Spes

A Loving Jester...From Your Brother...Quis separabit?... Who Will Separate Us?

Attachments

• south-carolina-buttons.jpg
    south-carolina-buttons.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CIVIL-WAR-CONFEDERATE-SOUTH-CAROLINA-BUTTON

Animis Opibusque Parati
... Prepared in Mind and Resources!

"The Great Seal of the State of South Carolina was adopted in 1776. The seal is made up of two elliptical areas, linked by branches of the palmetto tree. The image on the left is dominated by a tall palmetto tree and an oak tree, fallen and broken. This scene represents the battle fought on June 28, 1776, between defenders of the unfinished fort on Sullivan's Island, and the British Fleet. The standing palmetto represents the victorious defenders, and the fallen oak is the British Fleet. Banded together on the palmetto with the motto "Quis separabit?" ("Who Will Separate [Us]?"), are 12 spears that represent the first 12 states of the Union. Surrounding the image, at the top, is "South Carolina", and below, is "Animis Opibusque Parati" ("Prepared in Mind and Resources"). The other image on the seal depicts the Roman Goddess Spes walking along a shore that is littered with weapons. The Goddess, symbolizing Hope, grasps a branch of laurel as the sun rises behind her. Below her image is her name "Spes", Latin for "Hope", and over the image is the motto "Dum Spiro Spero", or "While I Breathe I Hope".

The Great Seal of South Carolina was "set" or "affixed" to the Ordinance of Secession of December 20, 1860, at Secession Hall in Charleston shortly after 7:00 p.m., following which convention delegates signed it, including Robert Barnwell Rhett, as some three thousand South Carolinians watched enthusiastically the proclamation of"

Details
ArmigerState of South Carolina
Adopted1776
MottoQuis separabit?
Meliorem Lapsa Locavit
Animis Opibusque Parati
Dum Spiro Spero
Spes

A Loving Jester...From Your Brother...Quis separabit?... Who Will Separate Us?

That's cool and very fitting. We are the last of five brothers.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I searched through the Albert button-book's photos of South Carolina State Militia buttons, to find its Albert button-number and thus its backmark and time-period for you.

It is definitely Albert's button SC-8A, and it was manufactured sometime between 1830 and 1858, by the firm of Young, Smith & Co. of New York City. Being made years before the war, it most likely would have been worn by a member of a pre-war SC Militia regiment, rather than a wartime volunteer or draftee. Apparently, it was lost fairly early during the war, because so little of its gold gilt has been worn off.

Your North Carolina State Militia button is a wartime Confederate-made one, which Albert calls a "CS Local" (a somewhat confusing term, meaning, locally-made in the Confederacy, not by a Northern firm or British maker). Most "local" NC buttons have a rather crude die-stamped emblem, showing weak detailing, and do not have a backmark. I can't quite tell for certain whether your button is Albert's NC-8A, B, C, or D. The head on the figure at right makes it look like NC-8A, and if so it should have an "S.A. Myers / Richmond Va" backmark. But it could have a "W.Wildt & Son / Richmond Va" backmark.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched through the Albert button-book's photos of South Carolina State Militia buttons, to find its Albert button-number and thus its backmark and time-period for you.

It is definitely Albert's button SC-8A, and it was manufactured sometime between 1830 and 1858, by the firm of Young, Smith & Co. of New York City. Being made years before the war, it most likely would have been worn by a member of a pre-war SC Militia regiment, rather than a wartime volunteer or draftee. Apparently, it was lost fairly early during the war, because so little of its gold gilt has been worn off.

Your North Carolina State Militia button is a wartime Confederate-made one, which Albert calls a "CS Local" (a somewhat confusing term, meaning, locally-made in the Confederacy, not by a Northern firm or British maker). Most "local" NC buttons have a rather crude die-stamped emblem, showing weak detailing, and do not have a backmark. I can't quite tell for certain whether your button is Albert's NC-8A, B, C, or D. The head on the figure at right makes it look like NC-8A, and if so it should have an "S.A. Myers / Richmond Va" backmark. But it could have a "W.Wildt & Son / Richmond Va" backmark.

Thanks for all the information TCG. My brother found the SC button in 1987 at Pleasant Valley, Washington County, Md. It is from Kershaws line during Jackson's siege of Harpers Ferry, Va in 1862. The North Carolina button came from Heysers Ridge, just south of Hagerstown, Md. Possibly from Longstreets corp before Antietam. It was also found in 1987.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is. Hopefully he will soon be posting here. He got a used laptop for Christmas. He found a revolutionary war button that only three are known to exist.

Neat that he is a digger & IMO that really proves he Loves you giving you Very nice relics especially if he dug them.

Hope to hear about and see some of his finds , soon.

Now I read he did indeed dig them himself , "He loves you , He really loves you".
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread