fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am posting this for my brother. Hopefully he will soon start posting for himself. Anyway, he found 22 .69cal and 4 .58cal bullets in the same hole on private property at the Antietam battlefield over twenty years ago, maybe longer. He gave two of the 69s away so the picture only shows the twenty he still has. All but 3 of the 69s had the same base cavity, the other 3 each have a different cavity.
This site was Confederate on the 16th of September but was Union by the end of the 17th.

Attachments

• Antietam bullets 1.jpg
    Antietam bullets 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
  • Antietam bullets 2.jpg
    Antietam bullets 2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 74
Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FF1, very good find for your brother on the Bullet Spill. I'll bet his heart skipped a beat when he came across this target. A buddy of mine and myself found a spill such as this while hunting Atlanta years ago. It had been raining prior and the ground was saturated. My bud dug down about 10' and then deeper. He signaled me over and there in the piles of mud white patina could be seen everywhere. My bud didn't have any gloves, and it was quite cold so I removed my gloves and helped him sort through the mud. A total of 45 58 cal. three ring Minnie Ball's came from this hole. I returned about three days later after the ground had dried up some and shot around the perimeter of this same hole and found 15 more of the same. We had at first thought that he had come across a possible cartridge box, but no plate, buckles, or finials were found leading us to believe that these bullets were discarded and new issue had been received. Those 69' cal. bullets are a cool find. Was your brother able to find anything else with these bullets to suggest that there may have been a cartridge box at one time? This was a cool post too in that my Great Great Grandfather's Regiment was at the Battle of Antietam or Sharpsburg and would receive his first wound in the war being shot through the shoulder. Thanks for this Good post. Tell your brother He Did Good!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am posting this for my brother. Hopefully he will soon start posting for himself. Anyway, he found 22 .69cal and 4 .58cal bullets in the same hole on private property at the Antietam battlefield over twenty years ago, maybe longer. He gave two of the 69s away so the picture only shows the twenty he still has. All but 3 of the 69s had the same base cavity, the other 3 each have a different cavity.
This site was Confederate on the 16th of September but was Union by the end of the 17th.

Great picture & cool story , I love those 69's ; they just were not in use 'That much or barely ' by Sherman's Looting Campaign.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FF1, very good find for your brother on the Bullet Spill. I'll bet his heart skipped a beat when he came across this target. A buddy of mine and myself found a spill such as this while hunting Atlanta years ago. It had been raining prior and the ground was saturated. My bud dug down about 10' and then deeper. He signaled me over and there in the piles of mud white patina could be seen everywhere. My bud didn't have any gloves, and it was quite cold so I removed my gloves and helped him sort through the mud. A total of 45 58 cal. three ring Minnie Ball's came from this hole. I returned about three days later after the ground had dried up some and shot around the perimeter of this same hole and found 15 more of the same. We had at first thought that he had come across a possible cartridge box, but no plate, buckles, or finials were found leading us to believe that these bullets were discarded and new issue had been received. Those 69' cal. bullets are a cool find. Was your brother able to find anything else with these bullets to suggest that there may have been a cartridge box at one time? This was a cool post too in that my Great Great Grandfather's Regiment was at the Battle of Antietam or Sharpsburg and would receive his first wound in the war being shot through the shoulder. Thanks for this Good post. Tell your brother He Did Good!

That was one to remember , I have never found that many in 1 hole.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was one to remember , I have never found that many in 1 hole.
I have never since found another spill such as the one we came across. This may have been our once in a lifetime find. Who knows? Maybe there are still some out there. We'll just have to continue our search.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It probably was for me. I don't know if I'll ever find another in my lifetime. Love to hear that some are still stumbled across though. There was a Utube video a while back where a gentleman came across one in a field he was hunting. If I remember correctly he found 300 or better. He found so many that he returned to this site a day or two to complete the recovery. The hunter figured that due to so many being found, it was most likely cases of ammunition that was buried for fear of falling into the enemies hands. The hunter was finding so many that he was lugging them back and forth to his vehicle in a towel as many as he could carry at a time. Truly amazing. If you haven't seen this video, it's worth checking out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread